Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Low Tire Pressure Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Default Low Tire Pressure Light

I purchased a 2009 Honda Civic a month and a half ago. Twice the low tire pressure light has gone on. The first time the the light went off the next day; the second time it went off after 5 days. In both cases the tires looked fine to me. The manual says that this light should go on only if a tire is flat or very under-inflated. The dealer told me that the light can be activated because of outside temperature changes. I find this very annoying. What can I do to keep the light from turning on except when it is supposed to.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Super Cereal Admin

The light is doing exactly what it was designed to do: tell you when the tire pressure changes. The light will come on when one or more of the tires lose pressure (sometimes temperature changes can cause this). Coming on when the tire is flat or very under-inflated is pretty misleading; a few psi can cause the light to come on. When it comes on, check your tires' pressures. If it's only one tire that keeps causing a problem, I'd have that tire checked out for possible nails.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:13 PM

Make sure that the tires are cold (ideally after sitting overnight) when you are checking the tire pressure. Pressure and heat directly correlate with one another. If you check the tires when they are warm, you will get a reading higher than if you check them when cold. The sticker in the door jam or glovebox that specifies the pressure to inflate to indicates cold tire pressure.