Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

noise on breaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Default noise on breaks

i hear a wierd gratting noise when i apply my breaks (more frequently when it rains/after it rains). i heard its just dust brakes and its common especially with cars equipped with abs - is this true? what about a high pitched noise when you apply your brakes? does it mean that your breaks are thin? thanks.

Old 06-12-2004, 07:55 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: noise on breaks

it means that your brake pads are getting low and will need to be changed soon. The put little pieces of metal in the pads purposly, that way when its low they make that noise telling you that they need to be changed.

Old 06-12-2004, 03:36 PM
NTX
HCF Member

If you hear a grating/grinding noise, you're cutting into the rotors. If its a high pitched squeek, it's time to change the pads or have the rotors re-surfaced.

Old 06-13-2004, 03:12 AM

Check your brake fluid. If it's low then your brake pads need to be replace.

Old 11-13-2004, 01:41 AM

do a visual to check your pad thickness. If it looks okay it may just be the brake dust you were told about. This is more and more common in the newer metalic pads that are sold today. My freind had brake noise that sounded like he needed new pads. His were okay. I soaked his pads with brake cleaner and had hime drive around the block while riding his breaks (twice) then his break noise went away. But thats only if our pads are still good.

Old 11-13-2004, 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: NYC Civic

What does one have do to with teh other ?!?!

Old 11-13-2004, 01:42 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Super Mario

ORIGINAL: NYC Civic

What does one have do to with teh other ?!?!
Lol, i was thinking the same thing!! Brake fluid doesn't really affect the brake pads. Brake fluid is used to pressurize the braking system so that your brake pads will be able to squeeze the brake disc hard enough to stop (or slow down) the car.

Edit: Man, I just looked back at that post and it is like FIVE MONTHS old!!! Death Before Decaf, pay attention to the dates on the thread before replying. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2004, 05:28 PM
HCF Member

the fluid will be a little low because some of the fluid will be in the caliper holding the piston farther out. i dont know how reliable this is as a check though.

Old 11-14-2004, 07:30 AM
HCF Member

that difference is so miniscule.. you will lose more braking power from the brake line flex (on most stock cars) than if your pads were low... totally no need to worry about brake pressure drop from worn pads.

Old 11-14-2004, 11:10 AM
HCF Member

i dont think he meant pressure drop, its that the level will be a little lower because the fluid is in the calipers instead of the resevoir.

Quick Reply: noise on breaks