Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Rear wheel tilt

Old 08-01-2007, 05:42 AM
Default Rear wheel tilt

I am new to this site and this is my first post. This question is in regards to my sons 99 civic EX. The car when purchased had been lowered at some point in time. But I notice that the drivers side rear wheel is tilted in at the top. As if there is a lot of weight in the car, like the old VW suspensions looked like on dune buggies. the passenger side looks fine. The angle of the wheel has caused the tires to wear out terribly on the inside tread. Is this caused by a bad shock or spring or both? I just took a quick look at it under the car after we had just put on a new catback. I see there is a coil over a shock but didn't notice if it was a stock shock or a coil over set up. What's it take to replace a worn out shock and any proceedures would be helpful. Don't know if this makes any difference but his wheels are 17" w/205 40 Nittos on. Anyother helpful info needed? This is a daily driver per saynot a race course car.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:25 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Rear wheel tilt

its the camber, they make kits to fix this problem the tire looks like this? / instead of like this | right? there is also a trick with washers, somewhere on the forum, search for it, it should help that somewhat

Old 08-01-2007, 07:09 AM

Yes that is the angle of the wheel. I didn't know the rear wheels had a camber adjustment. I thought caster/camber was for the fronts.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:16 AM
mxs
HCF Member

The rear wheels don't have a camber adjustment. The front wheels don't either. You can buy aftermarket kits, though. The only thing you can change on these cars (stock) is toe, front and rear (which IS important, and will wear your tires unevenly if it's set wrong). It's possible the car was in a minor accident and bent some part of the rear suspension.

Has the car had an alignment recently? I'd be interested to know what the readings were.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:41 AM

The car has not had an alignment recently, so I can't give you any specs. All wheels look to be aligned properly accept the rear driver side. I found the post on the washers that strong island mentioned. Good write up and pics to go along. I'll see what that does. What is the stock height, ground to top of fender well for a 99 honda civic ex? That way I can see how much the rear has been dropped.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:46 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: tgifford5

All wheels look to be aligned properly accept the rear driver side.
You can't go by eye, you have to get it on the machine to really know if it's right. Your toe being off by 0.5 degrees will be enough to wreck a tire.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:53 AM

MXS, are you talking the fronts or rears. And isn't toe regarding whether the wheel is pointed inward or outward? Such as pigeon toed or duck toed? My rear wheel is tilted this way /, when looking at it from the rear of the car.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well heres my STOCK height pics.
Name:  day1springstruts008.jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  47.5 KB
Name:  day1springstruts004.jpg
Views: 2026
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  day1springstruts001.jpg
Views: 2428
Size:  72.5 KB

looks to me like most are 24inches from highest part in fender arch..... tho mine wasnt and ISNT quite level still but its nothing noticably different. id inspect both sides of the rear and look at that top arm and see if thiers washers on the GOOD side... and see if thier are any on the BAD side.... if thier are none on the bad side.... and some on the good side.... just match the good size washer count.... BUT if they BOTH have the same washer count then thiers something bent thats throwing it off which it can very well be....
only way to determine is to realy check it out.... and if they match then you coudl TRY to remove the upper arm bolts again and add afew more washers AND A LONGER BOLT.... youll have to take the stock bolt to your local hardware store and match the threads up with a 1/4-1/2inch longer bolt... and try to get the camber about right by eye... then get a new tire and take the car in for a alignment...

can you get pictures of the lowering parts?
now that i think about it it MIGHT be adjustable coil overs.... then youd just have to adjust that side.... just maybe if they are adjustable the idiot didnt adjust them the same so that side is lower than the other which would give you that camber issue as well....

just one of those things thats realy hard to determine without seeing.LOL

Old 08-01-2007, 07:57 AM
mxs
HCF Member

Both fronts and rears. I understand that you have a camber problem, what I'm saying is, people don't realize this, but bad TOE settings will eat your tires faster than bad camber settings. What people call "camber wear" is very likely NOT from camber, but from toe.

Read this: http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/YaBB.pl?num=1162587420

Old 08-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: tgifford5

MXS, are you talking the fronts or rears. And isn't toe regarding whether the wheel is pointed inward or outward? Such as pigeon toed or duck toed? My rear wheel is tilted this way /, when looking at it from the rear of the car.

so is it the wheel is turned into the car.... like the front wheel turning.... this is toe problem
OR
is it the wheel is angled inwards on the top?............ this is camber problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear wheel tilt