Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Steering wheel vibration after 60mph?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Default Steering wheel vibration after 60mph?

Hey:
I checked all terminals, bushings, bearings, ball joints, etc. and found all in OK condition...took the car to an alignment shop to get new tires and they said that I have the front right hand spring bad and needed to replace it before aligning the front end? This can cause front end vibration, he said??? [:@]

Old 05-18-2006, 09:30 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Steering wheel vibration after 60mph?

replace both side springs & then check the balance on your tires...unless you're buying new ones.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:24 AM

I bought the tires last week...so you are saying that the springs may cause a car to shake?
The alignment guy measured height in both sides and it is actually about 2 inches higher in the right hand front end...He said that it can happen when a spring goes bad on you...

Old 05-19-2006, 12:43 AM

i had the same problem. once i got my wheels balanced they were fine. but if its 2 inches off..something isnt right. get that fixed right away.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:24 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: superfestiva

Hey:
I checked all terminals, bushings, bearings, ball joints, etc. and found all in OK condition...took the car to an alignment shop to get new tires and they said that I have the front right hand spring bad and needed to replace it before aligning the front end? This can cause front end vibration, he said??? [:@]
1. Check the tire pressure for all tires. Make sure they are all the same and all at the proper pressure.
2. If they are, get the wheels balanced. Go to a different tire shop.
3. Springs wouldn't cause vibration. Measure the height yourself. If you do have uneven height, that's abnormal for stock springs. Did you install aftermarket springs? Replace the springs if the height is off.
4. If you still have vibration problems, get the front-end aligned.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:07 AM

I bought all four tires new last week...they all have the same pressure...they all got balanced...
I bought the car 2 weeks ago just how it is...I dunno if they are aftermarket springs or not...
About the alignment, I was told that the front end cannot be aligned if the car has uneven height and that I had to replace the spring before doing it...Oh, man...

Old 05-19-2006, 03:32 PM
HCF Member

2 inchs different..wow, that would be deffently somthing you can see from looking at your car and somthing to do with your springs/shocks..tell them to do it as long as they garentee it will fix the problem..i cant see what else it could be, if you checked everything already, but like i sead..2 inchs is huge

Old 05-20-2006, 08:45 AM

I measured the height myself twice and it has exactly the same on each side...made a friend measure it in case I forgot how to measure stuff, and he got the same results...they prolly wanted to charge me some extra $$$...about the shaking it is still there...Dunno what else to do...

Old 05-20-2006, 10:48 AM

you can balance tires wrong, and that would make it shake. if there not too bad then its only going to be at high speeds. i would bring it back where you got the tires and have them rebalance them, that way it will be free. on civics you can only adjust the toe, and iv never heard of a vibration from the toe being off.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:12 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: superfestiva

I measured the height myself twice and it has exactly the same on each side...made a friend measure it in case I forgot how to measure stuff, and he got the same results...they prolly wanted to charge me some extra $$$...about the shaking it is still there...Dunno what else to do...
So they were trying to rip you off.
Take the wheels to a different shop and get the tires balanced.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel vibration after 60mph?