Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Tire Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Default RE: **OFFICIAL** Tire Review Thread

i got bfg drags there 205/50/15s they are no good i rain great in dry weather really sticky i broke a half shaft though i did a 2000 mile trip to nc and them 2000 back and even as sticky as they are still good and still use at the trake but very pricey

Old 04-05-2007, 09:30 AM
mxs
HCF Member

reminder, this thread is for TIRE REVIEWS only, if you have a question for someone, PM them or start another thread

Old 04-17-2007, 05:28 PM

brand: Falken
model: Azenis RT-615
size: 205/50R15
purchased: got mine from a friend. cheapest place i've seen em is at www.vulcantire.com
time had: have had em for a lil over a week and have ran real hard at a rainy autox event.
review: an amazing tire without a doubt.very sticky in dry weather and surprisingly sticky in wet weather aswell. these tires really do just about stick right to the pavement. drivin around i hear lil rocks being flung up and hit my car. handling has improved greatly because of these tires. driving around normally and taking a turn or 2 faster than posted limit is no problem and getting them to squeal really takes some work. most ppl say they arnt great for wet weather and to be carefull when driving in the rain, but they arnt that bad. i dont suggest going out in the rain and screwin around at all with them, but i dont feel too unsafe when driving in the rain. the last race i went to was raining all day and i ran these tires real hard. they did an amazing job finding grip and pulling me thru the turns with ease(hell i took 2nd place out of 11 in my class). i highly recommend this tires to anyone who loves the twisties and even to the drag ppl that dont want to switch from street to stickier tires for racing.

Name:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  79.2 KB

i dont think ill ever go back tothe run of the mill"high performance" tire again

Old 04-18-2007, 10:54 AM
HCF Member

Falken Zeix 512....Ebay, $220 shipped. 205/60/15. Ordered the friday before easter (late) got them tuesday...thats pretty much next day. (didnt ship till monday morning)

So, got them mounted/balanced on some pretty nippon F-2 15 in. gun metal wheels...looked real sexy on my car, many compliments from a variety of people. so, i slapped them on, let it down started to pull out of my garage and found out that the rub if you turn even the slightest bit, or your suspension flexis at all...i drove about 3 miles (rather slow) and when i got back, lifted up to find a few little chunks from the very outside tread block gone, but then found that the tires MELTED and grinded a plastic tab from the inner fender...Falkens +1...innerfender...0....im looking for some new 205/45/15's for the front, but so far, the rear is an incedebly smooth, quite ride...when i leave school im going to blast some twisties and see how they do compared to my old all seasons. (if any one knows of some decent 45/15's give me a PM! PLZ!!!)

Old 07-12-2007, 07:29 AM
HCF Member

Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Positions.

195/60/14, Ultra-High performance all seasons, 400 treadwear, AA/A ratings, bought for $305 shipped from the Tire Rack. Shipping was great like usual from those guys, plus Bridgestone was having a rebate offer, so I got another $75 off the order! I got them mounted and balanced on the stock 14 wheels, and immediately noticed a huge difference in ride and road noise when driving. When cruising at highway speeds they are completely silent, with the exception of overpasses on the highway, and ride like the car is a lexus (ok, slight exaggeration lol). I've driven them for about 1500 miles so far, so I haven't had much time to take them on the twisties yet, but the times I have had some fun corners they made the car feel as if they it was on rails. It takes some serious effort before the tires even begin to squeal, and the turn-in response is much more crisp and accurate then the old tires I had. Since I've only driven them 1500 miles I obviously haven't encountered any snow yet, but the rain I have driven through hasn't affected them at all. One thing to be aware of, like all tires they require a break-in period, so don't expect super-car handling within the first 500 miles. After they have been broken in though these tires handle like a dream.

These tires obviously aren't going to handle on the dry pavement like a pair of RT-615's will, but for the price and for being all-season tires they are a GREAT deal.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:15 PM

yokohama avs es100
185 60 14
tirerack.com

i love them they are great on the road and will be great on the track once i get a good tire pressure i've only had them for about a thousand miles and they are hardly broken in

Old 07-26-2007, 08:12 PM

Review 1:
Yokohama AVS ES100, 195/55/15s, bought them from tire rack.

I had them just over two years, rotated every six months.

At first these were absolutely wonderful tires. They're ultraperformance summer, but I ended up driving on them in the winter - for not being rated well, I think they did just as well as any 'all seasons' I've ever had.

Wet traction was superb, dry traction and cornering was superb, in the snow they did very well.

The problem with them is they wear very quickly. If I hadn't rotated them, the fronts would have been bald within 8 months.

Overall I give this tire an A. I would buy them again if I didn't want to try others.

Review two:
Kumho Ecsta AST, 205/50/15s, tirerack.com

I've had these tires just over two months now, but have already tried them out. They did well on my 2000 mile trip to and from DFW Texas.

Because of the size difference I can't make an exact comparison to the ES100s, but these feel slightly more splashy in the cornering, although I'm not brave enough to even come close to their breaking point while cornering. (I tend to do 70 up onramps onto the highway)

So far they've been awesome in the rain, in a standing puddle of water, I gunned it and they grabbed. Not even the ES100s did that.They've been superb on dry pavement also. For how badly these were reviewed, I'm not seeing the downside, although when winter comes I'll be paying attention and comparing them to the ES100s.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:08 AM
HCF Member

Toyo Proxes FZ4
205 x 40 R16

Directional tread, all season. Purchased at Wheelmax with my rims, were on sale for about 69.00 each. Tire grips wonderful in dry, and very well in wet. They were overinflated for some time and when i lowered the inflation to spec they got even better. They look good, and seem strong. I have always ridden Toyo's, even their cheaper tires for family cars will go an easy 50 thousand before you need to start worrying. The Proxes is toyo's high performance line, they offer a few varieties.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:13 PM
HCF Member

Bridgestone Potenza G009
185 X 65 R15

Directional tread, all season. I bought them at firestone. I only got two and it came out to $225 (roughly). Really nice tires though, handle much better than my HRIs that I had, and its also a much more firm/smooth ride when freeway driving. I definatly recommend them.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:34 AM
HCF Member

Good year assurance triple tred... very good traction for all seasons.... has 80,000 mile warranty, but a bit noisy

Quick Reply: Tire Review Thread