Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tires

Dropzone Strut and Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Default Dropzone Strut and Lowering Springs

Heres is my experience with the Strut/Spring combo I got off ebay for $288 shipped to my door. Now this is a long review mainly because it goes through the process of me installing them and the problems I ran into.

Pics soon to come as soon as I get my digi cam back.

Product: Dropzone (DND) Struts and Lowing Springs
Distributor: Ebay: Bigboybryant
Vehicle: 96 Civic EX Coupe
Cost: $288 shipped
Installation: Intermediate
Installation Time: For me 2 hours also depends on your tools that you have avalible.

The Dropzone Lowering Springs are said to lower the 96-00 civics 2.5F/2.25R thats good if your wanting clearance space for speed bumps and such. The Struts are gas filled. The springs/struts are well welded and colored. The Springs come noted for back and front so you dont mess up while installing them.

Now onto installation, it is pretty much straight forward for the installation on the fronts. Fitment went well and fitted just perfect with the exception of a little WD40 to help. And remember that you only need to remove TWO bolts from the front control arms to lossen the shock so if your taking out more then TWO make sure you are doign things right. Anyways Tightened it back up and it was good to go.

Now for the back, everyone seems to be having problems with the backs and lucky enough I ran into it too. Here is my steps to loosen the bolts( unless you have a 99-00 ) it is most likely that your going to be cutting the bolts. Now here is the part that is the most important and what I've learned during my process. The LCA does not need to be off COMPLETELY to be able to install a Strut/Shock. And for the 96-00 civics only one bushing is able to be replaced the strut holder bushing.

Now onto cutting the bolt( the one that holds the Shock/Strut in place ), before cuttin make sure that the bolt closest to the center of the car is out this one should come out with no problem with a air impact. Loosen it up and pull the LCA to the lowest it'll go. Now when cutting the bolt that holds the strut DO NOT cut the head bolt! Instead cut the welded nut on the back. Make sure when cutting that you get it as close as possible (meaning try to cut the whole nut off). After you've done that spray some WD40 both on the head of the bolt and the end part, let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Get a air impact wrench and shoot it a couple of times, it should and I mean SHOULD turn since the bushing has no thread in it and you've already cutted the end nut off it should turn with no problem. After verifying that the bolt is turning get a screwdriver and bang it out. Should come out with no problem. And that is how I removed the bolt with no lost bushing and still be in good shape Oh and make sure you have another bolt handy a genuine one from your local dealership or goto a hardware store and ask for a metric 10.9.

Now onto the installation of the rear strut. This is by far harder then the fronts, since I still had the LCA intacted. First assemble up the strut/spring/coilver and hook it up to the chassis again, First install the LCA again meaning dont have the shock/strut bolted on the LCA yet, why? For some reason the Dropzone struts tilts the LCA a bit so the holes wont match up for the bolt closest tot eh center of the car. install the LCA and and then bolt on the strut, if you having problesm getting the strut up to the bolt bushings use a car jack (OEM) to pushto match the bushings. And your DONE! Rinse Repeat for the other side ( considering the bolt is stuck again)

After installing the Dropzone kit I putted the wheels back on and measured the drop rate, here is what I received, Front-2.35 Rear-2.25. So Dropzone put up a real stat of the car, nice to know for a lot of people. Took it out for a test run very stable and may I mention VERY comfortable almost like stock springs but your car is lower . After the test drive I rechecked everything from bolts to bolts to see if I need retightening, everything seemed okay.

Although is almost a walkthorugh of how I removed teh bolts and installing the strut/shocks this is just my EXPERIENCE and MY WAY of dealing with the installation, there are other ways but feel free to PM me if you have any questions about my installtion or the product.

Now for my Final words on this kit.
Recommend: YES
Reason: Lifetime Warranty, and true results on drop rate and performace. For $288 bucks shipped I cant be any more then happy and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep in mind that your suspensions should not be something you go cheap on, if your on a budget dropzone is here and is awsome for the value in my opinion.

Any questions feel free to PM me. GL!

Old 10-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Default RE: Dropzone Strut and Lowering Springs

So how long have you had this so far? Im getting kinda interested in this. How is the handeling? BOdy roll? DO you know the spring rates for the lowerng springs? Are the shocks adjustable? What person did u buy it off?

Old 01-12-2007, 10:48 PM

i read somewhere that dropzone makes very, very cheap springs that dont perform well

Old 05-18-2008, 08:52 AM

I have Dropzone springs/struts for the 2.5" drop installed on my 1994 hondadx, bought them probably 4 or 5 years ago, and they have performed "like a dream" imo.

Maybe if you have a heavier ex model, they aren't as good.. but for my car, with front/rear upper strut tower bars, my car handles better than stock ever did. seriously.

Im selling my car in a few days with 230k miles on it and all around, it's still going strong, suspension still feels as good as the day i installed these springs/struts.

I dunno what you read but that's my experience. I'm getting another honda this week and i'll certainly consider another dropzone matched set if they are available for my model.

cheers

Old 05-20-2008, 11:38 AM
HCF Member

How does it look... any pictures ?
I haven't heard anything good about this setup
but a good picture would totally change my mind.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 PM

I had the shocks and struts with some lowering springs for about 6 months. The rear shocks blew in that amount of time. I didn't bother with the warrantee, I didn't want more of them... switched to KYB AGXs. Never been happier.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:37 PM
HCF Member

Sweet, I just ordered the Tein Stechs with the Tokico Blues, ( hp ) I can't wait to install. I will take extensive pictures of before and after of every angle, I can't wait.