Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

04 civic si, transmission "flaring" when changing from 2-3 gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Default 04 civic si, transmission "flaring" when changing from 2-3 gear

Hi, I'm having a problem with my car right now. When it shifts from 2nd to 3rd the engine revs high sometimes. Every other gear is fine though. I just had the transmissions fluid changed, but the shifting problem is still there. Im not sure what i should do with it.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:05 PM
HCF Member

Unfortunately it's nothing that you can probably fix because my civic does the same exact thing. By the way I know you posted this a long time ago but since it was unanswered I'm going to answer it one thing that you can do to really help the situation. Change your transmission fluid more often. I'm not talking about like every 5000 miles. But like change it every two years. And try using a full synthetic oil like AMSOIL or royal purple max ATF. You're going to have a lot of Honda junkies on here tell you to only use the OEM fluid. But if you go with an off brand like AMSOIL or royal purple or even Castrol multi-vehicle ATF. As long as it says its compatible with Honda ATF z1 then you should be just fine using it. But here some quick advice on something that I've been doing to get rid of the flare. Right before it shifts into third or in the fourth gear I let go of the gas pedal slightly and it doesn't flare. So try that next time you're driving and see if it works. And try to make that a habit because if you can keep it from flaring by letting off the gas pedal slightly then you're going to save yourself a transmission. I mean obviously it's eventually going to fail but if you can keep it from flaring you're going to extend the life of it. And also a flare isn't the transmission slipping. Contrary to popular belief it's a delay in shifting to the next gear. So there's some valve in the transmission or some solenoid that sticking. So a transmission that continues to flare can lead to slipping.