Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Clogged Strainer/ DX auto tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 05:49 PM
HCF Member
Default Clogged Strainer/ DX auto tranny

Talked to a guy tonight and he said he usually removes the lines and drain plug and uses a compressor to blow air into both lines. he says this works for him most of the time.
Will this work with a badly clogged strainer? Or will it do more damage than good?

Old 11-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

most likely it will harm it more... ur already having problems with it.... id just save up $$ for a new or used tranny... or even money to rebuild your tranny.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:58 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
most likely it will harm it more... ur already having problems with it.... id just save up $$ for a new or used tranny... or even money to rebuild your tranny.
I got a used one the other night for $100!
It's out of a 98 EX but hey whats a year??? HA HA
Mine is a 99 DX. I'll be saving up some money to get my original one rebuilt in the future for when this one goes out- or I have it rebuilt.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:01 PM
HCF Member

and after just 3 changes- I was getting upwards of 30 miles. Not too bad from not even staying in gear for 1 minute at idle...

Old 11-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

good to hear...
just price how much a respectable tranny shop will charge to rebuild the unit and if the replacement tranny ever does start to have a problem then take the old tranny to be rebuilt... its always cheaper to carry in your tranny and have it rebuilt and you take it home and install! most there bill is labor to remove and reinstall!

but hopefully you wont need to have it rebuilt... but either way before you instal the used tranny i would HIGHLY SUGGEST drain and refill unit with OEM fluids and get a magnetic drain plug. that way any metal debri should be grabbed by the magnet and then when you drain and refill the tranny ruffly a month later or shorter youll know its debri free as much as possible.

the first drain and refill will make sure theres no water or junk that got into it from the junk yard... and second drain and refill will ensure non of those old fluids are still in it.
might not be necessary but just some preventive maintenance you can easily do...

Old 11-19-2008, 05:20 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
good to hear...
just price how much a respectable tranny shop will charge to rebuild the unit and if the replacement tranny ever does start to have a problem then take the old tranny to be rebuilt... its always cheaper to carry in your tranny and have it rebuilt and you take it home and install! most there bill is labor to remove and reinstall!

but hopefully you wont need to have it rebuilt... but either way before you instal the used tranny i would HIGHLY SUGGEST drain and refill unit with OEM fluids and get a magnetic drain plug. that way any metal debri should be grabbed by the magnet and then when you drain and refill the tranny ruffly a month later or shorter youll know its debri free as much as possible.

the first drain and refill will make sure theres no water or junk that got into it from the junk yard... and second drain and refill will ensure non of those old fluids are still in it.
might not be necessary but just some preventive maintenance you can easily do...
I picked up 9 quarts of Honda ATF Z1 on my way home. The torque converter is drained- Mostly, so is the tranny. I bought it from a guy who just swapped to a manual. So it was a driving tranny(according to him). Picked it up from a shop(?) They worked on ALOT of Hondas and others. Lots of turbo's and such around. I'll be trying to drop it in tomorrow.
Hopefully I can get it done. I'm old and not very motivated anymore. LOL

I think mine has a magnetic plug in it already.