Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

How to tell if clutch is wearing out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Default How to tell if clutch is wearing out?

I recently purchased a 94 civic ex coupe 5 speed. My first 5 speed, I got used to it pretty quick and love driving it now...but how do I tell if my clutch is wearing out?

The guy I bought it from was like a 35 year old business man type person, not the type to really beat on a car or redline it or anything like that. I asked him about the clutch and he said in the 8 years he's had it, he never had to replace it. He didn't know if the previous owner (original owner) replaced it or not...which makes me think that I might be on the original clutch still (159k).

I think it might be wearing out but I don't know because it's the first clutch I've driven on more than once. 2 of my friends have civic 5 speeds and they both drove mine and said that it might be going out because it doesn't grab as quickly as theirs do (99 ex and 97 ex).

From the floor, the pedal probablytravels a good two or three inches before it starts to catch, and then at that point there's only about 2 inches left before it's totally out. It seems like there's a lot of play in it. Is that the telltale sign of a clutch wearing out? Does it just need adjusted?

Also...some times when starting in first...this is mainly cold starts like first time I drive it in a day...I will be leaving my driveway and letting out the clutch for first and the car will shake kind of like it's wheel hopping but it's not....is that the clutch??

I'm real inexperienced with clutches and I fiured I'd ask here first. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:57 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: How to tell if clutch is wearing out?

idk how to tell but what ur talking about when ur letting out the clutch what i think is happening is ur not giving it enough gas/clutch, if u let it out anymore you would probably stall. but id like to know how to tell if its worn out or not too so if anyone knows thatd b great.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:30 PM

I mean like you know how you push the clutch to the floor then slowly let it out...well it goes about halfway out before it starts engaging the clutch. From the floor to about halfway up it does nothing, then it catches and goes. I tried to describe it well but I suck sometimes. I dunno, someone help. I'm poor and wanna buy cool **** with the money I have but need to know if a new clutch will be needed in the future. Thanks.

Oh and about the wheel hop/slipping thing...I'm definitely giving it enough gas because the RPMS are up around 2000 when this happens. It's not luggin or anything trust me I know what that feels like.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:44 PM

hello everyone, what's up.

Just wanted to chime-in here and say that my '95 DX 5-speed is doing the exact same thing as "
t0wards eternity's" car.
Have 144K mi, and I don't know the history on the clutch.

You can really tell that something is not right by the way the clutch pedal feels.

I will keep searching on the forum posts.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well not all clutches feel the same... could just be regular clutch and not a racing clutch...

id say until ya either HEAR GRINDING or the clutch wont grip and starting to slip is when id replace the clutch....
unless ya just wanna upgrade to something with a beter BITING pad.....

but thats just me ive never had one wear out...

Old 08-19-2007, 03:21 PM
HCF Member

I have 165K on my 1999 LX and it's still on the original clutch. Mine acts just like yours does clutch pedal wise (how it engages about 1/2 way), and it's been doing that ever since I bought it new. I think it's normal. Also, if you let the clutch out with generally low RPMS, it will shudder a little. You should notice at higher RPMs, the shuddering will go away.

Hope this helps

Old 08-19-2007, 07:02 PM
mxs
HCF Member

it's worth bleeding the whole hydraulic system, if that doesn't fix it, it's probably the clutch.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:27 PM

Clutch chatter is normally due to the springs in the stock clutch starting to go out or the clutch beginning to lose it's grip, especially when it's cold. It's hard to tell when you need a new clutch if you've never felt a good clutch, but a good clutch should grab smooth and instant once broken in properly.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:49 PM
HCF Member

id say just get an upgraded clutch

Old 08-20-2007, 07:37 AM
HCF Member

either that or try not to start off at a stopped position at such high RPMs, it will run your clutch even more, try around 1500k. Although my cars faster so could be different...

Quick Reply: How to tell if clutch is wearing out?