Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

PROBLEM clutch lines do not seem to hold pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:40 PM
HCF Member
Default PROBLEM clutch lines do not seem to hold pressure

I just installed a new exedy stage 1 clutch in my 2001 civic dx and when i went to start the engine for the first time i pressed the clutch it and everything felt fine then i started the engine. Everything started right, but shortly after starting i noticed there was no pressure on the clutch pedal. I turned off the car and inspected the slave cylinder at the boot and the shifting fork. The pin inside the slave cyclinder has shot out along with brake fluid into the boot. From my research it sounded like the slave cylinder was dead. But i tried to reinstall it and bleed the line with no luck. So i bought a slave cylinder kit and rebuilt the slave cylinder. I reinstalled it and tried bleeding it. The pedal never begins to build any pressure and the shifting fork doesnt move. There are no leaks to my knowledge. I havent seen any fluids dripping and the fluid reservoir has stayed at a constant level overnight. Im stuck and do not know what to do from here. What do you guys think i should do. Is there anything i could test out that could help further diagnose this problem? Thank you.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

when you bleed the system did you pull the pedal up before you tightened the bleeder.

if you did id suggest to bleed the system again and make sure there is no air in the system.... if you ran the fluid dry while bleeding it could have alot of air in the system now.
but if there is still no air in the system and the pedal was in the up position when you tigthened the bleeder then either your master cylinder is bad or posibly your clutches soft line is swelling/expanding not giving the clutch very much pressure.
id replace the clutch master cylinder first and if the problem still consists replace the soft clutch line with a new one and bleed the system again.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:45 PM
HCF Member

When i bled my slave cylinder, i did the following. Loosen bleeder. Then press the clutch petal to the floor. Tighten bleeder. Lift clutch. Repeat. I have done this a lot and still no pressure seems to be building up. Is there a better technique to bleed the slave cylinder?

Is it a common thing for slave cylinders and possibly even master cylinders to break after the install of a higher power clutch? My car has 115k miles on it and the slave cylinder was replaced less than 25k miles ago.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ok well this time bleed the system like this... loosen bleeder, push the clutch pedal down and back up about 2-3times and then refill the brake fluid and then when the fluid is clean and bubble free, THEN tighten the bolt WITH THE CLUTCH PEDAL UP not down!

i had the clutch pedal down also and it gives you ZERO pedal. mainly because the clutch is not power.... you can do it with your brake system since you have a power booster so it builds alot of pressure. if you left the pedal down then when you pull the pedal back up after tighting the bleeder than the system basicaly has vacuum and no ability to build pressure.

so simply rebleed the system with a few pumps, pull the pedal up and then tighten the bleeder and your done!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:02 AM
HCF Member

thank you ill give it a shot.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:13 PM
HCF Member

So i bled the master cylinder again like you said and still no pressure is building. Is there anyway to test my master cylinder to see if it is dead? What else could it be?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Could be a bad master cylinder or slave cylinder. Do you see any leaks?

Here's the bleeding procedure from the manual:

Name:  picture_2331.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  89.7 KB

Old 10-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Default I have the same problem

my 2001 honda civic LX clutch will not build preasure, I was driving one day and the clutch just died, went to the floor, and would not come back up, was not able to put car into gear, I checked the lines and replaced one that was broken, but the clutch has not functioned since. What can I do to fix this problem

Old 10-16-2009, 05:52 PM
HCF Member

do you have clutch fluid?