Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2006 civic hybrid audio upgrade...? car limitations

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 06:51 AM
Default 2006 civic hybrid audio upgrade...? car limitations

Hi,

I have a 2006 honda civic hybrid with Nav and XM satellite radio. I am in the process of planning an audio upgrade that will allow me to leave the interior of the car, and therefore the current head unit, intact. I thought about the JL clean sweep, but have since done some reading about the soon to be out Alpine PXE-H650 audio processor, which apparently flattens out the curve then allows you to optimize the sound based on the specific car, etc. (It's hard to get specific info about the product...it's not yet out). Then, I'm thinking the Alpine PDX 4 x 100 amp, new speakers in front (?Alpine Type X versus R) and possibly new speakers in back. Finally, I'm back an forth on the subwoofer and an amp to go with that. I like to listen to a wide range of music from rock to jazz to classical to blues, etc. I'm also a bit of a news junkie, so I want regular old talk radio to sound "normal" so to speak.

So my questions are:
1) Does anything about the 06 hybrid electronics that will limit what I am planning, I mean from an electronic point of view...battery/ alternator, etc. 2) Any specific component recommendations from you much more experienced audiophiles? I am new to this stuff. I have heard great things about Alpine and therefore am headed in that direction..

Thanks,

George

Old 02-11-2007, 11:49 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 2006 civic hybrid audio upgrade...? car limitations

Well, Alpine is a great choice for car audio, their items will last through the test of time, and heavy pounding, and I gurantee you will be happy with their overall performance.

As for the Hybrid, I really don't know much about them myself. If you are going to plan on putting in a pair of amps, I would just read cautiously online, maybe your honda manual, and make sure that your alternator and power system will have the extra power to supply. It would suck to loose the great gas mileage because of jamming the stereo a little.

From what I know about hybrids, it seems like it shouldn't be a huge problem, you should have extra power to spare, it just might not get you as far as it would if you were saving that power for the drivesystem and not the stereo.

I will have to let someone else suggest something on that one, but Alpine all the way, you will love em.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:26 PM

Ya, I would think your hybrid would have many, many, many times more electricity to spare for the stereo than your average car... since.. under 50~60? mmh all your engine does is make electricity (and brakes.. not the point) . .. so.. i'm sure you could do just about anything you wanted electricly .... might have to wire it differently though, do hybrids have a normal starting battery or do they jsut use the powerplant to start (thats what i'm assuming) .. unfortunatly, since your car uses that electricity to go, it will probably hurt your gas mileage... though considering just how much electricity it takes to move a car compared to run a stereo, it shouldent take too many MPG off the top, especially when you listen to news or at music at low volumes.

Tell us how it goes, I'm sure alot of us would be interested in seeing the differences with, and how to do electric stuff with hybrids.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:21 AM

gshaker, how goes the project?
About a month ago I picked up an '07 civic hybrid (no nav). I'm looking to install my previous system into this car, but, like you, I don't want tofry something in the process.
I have a JLAudio 300/2 amp crossed over to aJL Audio 12W3v2-D2 sub and a 300/4powering 4 MB Quart RCE216s for the doors.
In addition, Ijust picked up the Cleansweep, so I'll let you know how that works out.
Do you have a shop manual? Do you know if there are any major differences between the'06 and the '07 hybrid system? There have beensome '06 manuals floating around on ebay, so I might grab one of them.
What I'd like to know is
- how does the hybrid system route thecurrent generated by the breaking? does it only go to the electric motor's battery, or does it get spread to both?
- how many volts does the hyrid's alternator generate? I'd liketo add a optima yellow top, which needs 13.8-15.0 volts.

Good luck with your install.
crzympg

Old 02-25-2007, 05:41 PM

Hey guys,

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I thought I'd receive an email if there were a response, and since I didn't get one... Anyway, I haven't made any progress as I am stuck between four different interface units, only two of which are available: 1) JL Audio Clean Sweep (available); 2) Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.1or2 (available); 3) Alpine PXE-h650 (not available...maybe this summer); and 4) JBL MS-8...previously called fix8 (also not yet available.) From what I have read and heard, they are all different. The clean sweep flattens out response, but very little ability to modify sound once installed, except using bass and treble controls of factory head unit. The Rockford-fosgate flattens out the curve then seems to work like an equalizer with ability to change sound for different types of music, etc. But, it almost sounds too complicated for someone like me who is not experienced with this stuff. I mean the shop would install and set up, but as for making changes later, I'm not sure. I think it allows six presets. The Fix-8 seems to be like the 3sixty. The Alpine unit actually uses microphones inside your car to adjust sound to your individual car's environment, but beyond that, I'm not sure there's much flexibility once the system is set up. I'm actually planning to go to a shop that carries the Rockford Fosgate unit next week to try to learn more about that.

As for the hybrid stuff, I appreciate the feedback. The car does have a regular 12 volt battery to start the car, but I don't know the details about the alternator. The battery that runs the integrated motor assist is completely separate, so I don't think there would be any affect on the mpg. That battery is located behind the rear bench seat (making the trunk a bit smaller). Any thoughts about a small subwoofer that you would recommend.

crzympg, how do you like your 07 hybrid? I don't think there are any significant changes between the 06 and 07 model, but I'm not certain about that. Since I'm guessing you're more technically savvy than I am, have you found out any more about the limitations of the car in terms of the amps, install, electrical system, etc?

I'd love some feedback on the different processor systems. what do you all think?

George