Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

99 Civic Electronics

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Default 99 Civic Electronics

Happy holidays everyone! Just wanted to share my new goodies.

I installed an Alpine CDA-117 and had a shop install JL Audio C2-650 components in the front. I also hardwired the annoying GPS cable. It enters the dash at the steering wheel, and I spliced a second cigarette lighter jack to the backside of the original and the GPS plugs in there. It's so nice to have that cable out of the way. I know I'm not the first person to do it, but I can say that it's so worth it.

The speakers were too big for the factory speaker holes, even after cutting out the back part that cups it. I got fed up and paid a shop to do it properly. They sound really nice and the Alpine head unit is AWESOME. The 5-band parametric or 7-band graphic equalizer gives you amazing control of the sound.

I want to mount my phone (iPhone4) and actually ordered a Kensington quick release last night. I'm unsure of whether the phone will fit while in an element case. I'll probably mount that on the air vent.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:56 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Stev067
The speakers were too big for the factory speaker holes, even after cutting out the back part that cups it. I got fed up and paid a shop to do it properly. They sound really nice and the Alpine head unit is AWESOME.
I had the same problem with my '98 Civic. I hacked out the plastic molding and jammed some nice Rockford Fosgate 6.5" in there. A couple of months later a worn out door molding caused water to get inside of my doors thus ruining my speakers. I went to the shop that installed the rest of my system and had them put some new RF speakers in with rain guards. Professional installation > hack job every time as far as I'm concerned.

I have an Alpine CDE-102 head unit and I love it. I also have the Alpine Power Pack and I've been amazed at how much improvement it makes.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:52 AM

I've considered buying the power pack. Considering I don't have a subwoofer, I imagine that would be all the power you really need, unless you are practically deaf. When I raise my volume over 75%, things in my car start buzzing, and it sounds like I may blow out the rear speakers (stock). And that's without a power pack. I should probably search the boards a bit and see if I can figure out how to alleviate the buzzing problem.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:21 PM
HCF Member

I have two Rockford Fosgate P3's in the trunk and the Power Pack really filled in the sound nicely. When I have my subs off and I'm just listening to the regular speakers, they have much more thump with the Power Pack than they did before with just the head unit.