HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual & Electronics (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Alarm installer issue (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/alarm-installer-issue-63894/)

gunz4me 04-11-2008 05:16 PM

Alarm installer issue

Greets all,

I am having issues with my factory installed alarm on my 1997 Civic EX and it is in need of replacement. I called several local shops regarding aftermarket alarms, and to my amazement, NONE of them do starter disable. I was thinking, WTF, $175 to install an alarm, and you don't do starter disable??

Anyhow, I really don't think that is a good idea because couldn't a thief just kill the siren then drive off with the car when starter disable is not hooked up? I would just replace the factory components, but the Honda radio is a little too old school for me using a CD changer and Cassette deck and I am too spoiled with the IPOD now! Plus, I think an aftermarket Alpine and alarm will be cheaper than Honda parts anyhow.

I guess the point I am trying to make is what is the point in installing an alarm without the starter disable on a car that is high on the theft list?

ETA: I believe I will just install the alarm myself if I can't find a shop to do it. I haven't installed one since 1993, but it can't be that difficult.

Stumasters 04-12-2008 02:56 AM

RE: Alarm installer issue

You could just rig an ignition bypass relay/switch combo and hide it somewhere random, under a seat or something. Then the alarm would go off, and if someone didn't notice or bother doing anything he would still be stumped trying to figure out why it won't run.

I went for the fuel pump cut-off switch. Most of my friends have done the same with their vehicles. makes a quick easy fix, and buys you some time.

I am in the middle of running 2 switches on my bike, an ignition and a fuel pump cut-off. Should be fun. Just check your amperage and don't use a switch where you need a relay, visa versa.

KarTuneMan 04-15-2008 08:57 AM

You cannot find a shop that will install an alarm WITH starter kill? Where the hell do you live?
That is unheard off.
Most shops consideradding starter disable asan option on the install, and NOT included inbasic installation.

gunz4me 04-15-2008 10:04 AM

I live in Louisiana, if that says anything about the mentality of the shops I called. I only have one more shop to try in town, then I am off to purchase and install the replacement alarm myself. I was thinking I would install the starter interrupt in "fail safe" mode where the starter is enabled, unless the alarm is triggered. That way, a dead brain, remote transmitter, etc. wouldn't prevent the car from starting. Don't get me wrong, I am no electrical engineer, but I do know the basics about electronics and circuitry to get me by. I was just looking to have someone else install the alarm because it plays hell on my back to twist into those odd positions required to solder, heatshrink, and reroute wires.

I am also not ruling out the possibility of installing some sort of fuel pump cutoff with a hidden switch or even using a magnetic switch. I like the idea of placing a magnet in the magic spot, or else the car won't run. The only downside are the crappy highways and the potential for the magnet to dislodge itself in normal every day traffic.

Regardless, I thought most quotes of $175 were rather high to install an alarm when they wouldn't connect the starter disable circuit, even though I was requesting it!

KarTuneMan 04-18-2008 08:54 PM

Hidden switches, and magnetic contact switches SUCK. If you need to 'interupt" a wire from doing it's job, use a relay.
This 175.00 dollar charge....is this YOU providing the alarm?

gunz4me 04-19-2008 08:45 AM

The $175 charge is for the installation only. Alarms start at $89 and go up from there. See why I am ready to do this myself...