Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

amp output

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:31 AM
HCF Member

ok my sub is 500 max 250 rms. i think my amp is 750max 250 rms. if i turn the gain all the way up will it be to much power?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ok newbie... your best thing you can do is read up!!!! if you dont know how to wire stuff up your only going to be blowing up equipment and posibly catch your car on fire! AND NO IM NOT JOKING!
the main thing ill tell you to save your car is on the amplifiers power wire PUT A FUSE RIGHT NEXT TO THE BATTERY terminal! dont be lazy and not put a fuse there or put the fuse next to the amplifier in th eback! ALWAYS USE A FUSE ON ANYTHING AFTERMARKETS POWER WIRE RIGHT NEXT TO THE POWER SUPPLY!

well here ya go with alot of reading material!
http://www.bcae1.com/

anybody who has learned more about car audio will agree thats the site to go to!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:48 AM
HCF Member

its all wired up. im not an idiot. the fuse is about 6 inches from battery. all i wanna know is it the gain as all the way up how much power is it actually putting to my sub.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 AM
HCF Member

?? lol

Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Nater1107
its all wired up. im not an idiot. the fuse is about 6 inches from battery. all i wanna know is it the gain as all the way up how much power is it actually putting to my sub.

OMG how many times do we have to tell you. the gain is not a volume control! if you set the gain PROPERLY which is typicaly half way with most radios, never above 3/4. if you go any higher your typically sending the subwoofer a dirty signal and it will blow the subwoofer. hell i blew one sub within 2mins that was brand new by cranking the gain and bassboost up, needless to say i learned the hard way how to set the gain control.

second your amplifiers power output depends on the subwoofers voice coil wire configuration! you can have a 1K watt amplifier that puts out 1K watts at 1ohm and if you have a 2ohm load on the subwoofer than youll only be getting around 500watts, and if you wire it at 4ohms youd only be getting like 250watts.
this is why its so important to plan out a stereo system so all the equipment you like will go together correctly!
so we can not tell you what your amplifier will put out at MAX RADIO VOLUME not gain **** unless we know what your subwoofers voice coil is and how you wired it up!
do you have a ohm load tester? if so put it on the subwoofers output with the radio off and see exactly what ohm load you have on the subwoofer.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 AM
HCF Member

you guys act like im a retard. i never said anything about gain being volume. its either 2 ohm or 4. its either http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga.../dp/B001CO9RR0 or http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga.../dp/B001HBJ1LK they look same but i not sure what one i have.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

this is what it is.
http://www.lightningaudio.com/produc...s=discontinued

so how much power would my sub get if i turned the gain all the way up?
ok my sub is 500 max 250 rms. i think my amp is 750max 250 rms. if i turn the gain all the way up will it be to much power?
when talking to experienced installers never say gains turned up then! the gain is there to set the sensitivity to the radios rca outputs and thats all. the higher the gain is set to the dirtier the signals are that go to your subwoofer that can blow both the amplifier and subwoofer. it might be in 2 mins or might be in 2weeks, who knows depends how good the subwoofer is and how much abuse it can take before it would blow.

but anyways..........

it still depends on which subwoofer you have! if you have the 2ohm version then youll only be getting 125watts if you bridged the outputs to the subwoofer, bridged is negative on one speaker terminal and the positive on the OTHER speaker terminal. most amps will have it labeled!
now if you have the 4ohm version of the sub then you would be getting 250watts if you bridged the sub on the amplifier like said above.

Last edited by addiction2bass; 02-21-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:32 AM
HCF Member

so if my sub is 250 rms i should bridge it because it will be safe and wont get to much power?

Old 02-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

o my mistake... just checked other specs for the subwoofer and it says
P2D212 Dual 2 Ohm Voice Coil
so depends again which sub you actually have. id say pull the subwoofer out of the box and make sure which version you have!!!!!

if it is dual 2ohm version than your ohmload possibilities are 1ohm OR 4ohm.
if it is dual 4ohm version than your ohmload possibilities are 8ohm OR 2ohm.
and its best for the subwoofer to have the amplifier bridged. but if you have the dual 4ohm version than you will have to wire it up with all 4wires and speaker outputs but youll only be getting rufly 170watts. thats 85watts per channel/voice coil.
SO IF YOUR LUCKY YOU HAVE THE P2D212 WHICH IS DUAL 2OHM LOAD, so you can bridge the amplifier and wire the subwoofers terminals in series, which is negative from one voice coil to the amplifier, and then the positive from that channel run it to the other voice coils negative terminal, and then run that positive terminal to the positive terminal on the amplifier, which will give the subwoofer a 4ohm load at the amplifier.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:59 AM
HCF Member

if its the P2D212 how much would i be gettting?

Quick Reply: amp output