Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

eg stereo install???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Default eg stereo install???

hey guys new member here.

just bought myself an eg manual hatchback.
only came with the factory alpine tape deck so figured id install a new h/u and speakers.

but i've come along some problems...
the factory speaker size is 4" front and rear. i was planning on replacing the factory speakers with 6" speakers.
but the speakers pods wont fit them.

i figured i could cut away some of the factory speaker pods to fit 6" speakers. but i'd like confirmation on this from someone as i have nothing to practice with. and ive read that other people have fitted 6" speakers in their civics.

appreciate any info and help andyone can give.

also how did people wire up their speakers... in my civic the speakers have a loom connector connected to them so that you can easily connect and disconnect the speakers.

curious if people removed these and fitted them to their new speakers or just cut the wires before the loom and wired them up that way.
cos i'd prefer to keep the loom connectors if possible. but from looking at the back of the factory speakers im not sure how exactly to remove them.

andrew.

Old 06-11-2006, 12:04 PM
Default RE: eg stereo install???

You say you have an eg. What year do you have? Eg have never come with 4 inch speakers. Egs come with a true 6 1/2 in the front and some hatches come with the same in the rear panels. They are not the normal 6 1/2 though. most aftermarket companies sell oversized 6 1/2s so you will need to find a honda specific (also early ford trucks are the same) or go with 5 1/4.

Old 06-11-2006, 12:31 PM

sorry should've explained myself better. new to honda models.

i think i have an eg lol. its a 1994 model.
and they're deffinately not 6" or 6.5" speakers... deffinately 4"

i read in another thread while searching that you can cut the back out of the factory speaker pods and fit 6" speakers.
just want confirmation on this. as i dont want to go out and buy some speakers then find out the hole isnt wide enough for them.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:20 PM

ok took the speaker and speaker pod out of the passenger door just then.
heres the measurements on it.

speaker diameter = 11.8cm/4.6"
speaker height = 4.1cm

pod opening diameter = 12.6cm/4.9"
pods depth = 5.5cm

if i can get my digital camera to work ill post up some pics.
not sure how people have managed to fit 6" speakers into these pods :S

Old 06-11-2006, 06:20 PM

just took the rear left speaker out. and thats 5.25"/13.3cm in diameter.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:49 PM

SO long as you have the equivilant to a us model it should not have 4 inch speakers in it. It will have 6 inch. Maybe someone else put them in. either way you usally have to cut the stock speaker basket no matter which one you get. and the eg is 92-95, so yes, you do have an eg.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:08 PM

well im in australia. and the systems factory honda.
but even with hacking up the speaker baskets. theres still no way to fit 6" speakers.
looking at the door, im probably going to have to get a spacer of some sort. and screw that into the door(metal) then screw the speaker onto that.

the rears tho im not sure about... as it doesnt actually have a basket per se. the speaker sits on a metal sleeve.
there is a plastic surround but that seems there purely to keep dust/dirt away from the speaker.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:23 AM

hmm... anyone know anything about the aussie model eg hatchback? and the differences between the aus and us model?

Old 06-14-2006, 08:21 AM

well anyways.... got all the speakers in and also fitted a pair of 7x10s while i was at it.
was surprisingly easy in the end. head unit went straight in aswell.

found out theres not too many places to fit an amp in the civic hatchback... at the moment ive got it screwed to the spare tyre cover and ive reinforced that with some mdf.

sounds pretty good tho. so im happy.

cheers.
andrew.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:23 PM

Some one had to mess with the audio before. If i'm not mistaken, honda's never have come with an alpine stereo. Maybe you meant it was an aftermarket, but it came with the car.

Quick Reply: eg stereo install???