HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual & Electronics (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   need stereo deck. (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/need-stereo-deck-54400/)

enigma34 10-25-2007 04:24 AM

RE: need stereo deck.

the website gave me great info! but they dont have alot of products. Only like 5 head units came up. Im probly going to get all my stuff from walmart.

Stumasters 10-25-2007 04:38 AM

Nice information comming out in this thread :-0 It should be a sticky maybe.

Anyway I still suggest Sonicelectronix.com for many people. Compared to sites like Crutchfield they are always cheaper, around 15-20% on average, and they have selection.

Plus 1 on not skimping out on the deck. If you want full speed I-Pod controls, you will have to pay a little extra.

Another option might be finding a place around you somewhere that sells decks and systems, lots of times they get trades and can sell them slightly used for a discount. I have a local dealer here that has more used stuff then new half the time, ha ha.

If you see some things that interest you link em and ask questions, best way to learn! It's rough sometimes sorting out all the jargon.

Luke_Jones 10-25-2007 06:05 AM

Also...finding sweet deals on the internet for your audio stuff is nice...but just like anything else it comes with a price. Warranty issues are a hassle. So depending on how you feel about it, sometimes it is kinda nice to be able to run down to that local stereo shop when you blow a sub and have them just swap it out leaving them to deal with the manufacturer instead of you. Not trying to discourage the saving of money (I've still bought plenty of stuff online) but its something to think about. Might be worth that extra $30-40 if something goes wrong with the deck.

**Edit:
--not to sure if Walmart will give you that kind of warranty service (you might ask em)
--The Kenwood iPod interface does not allow you to use the iPod controls (its all done through the deck) I dont know about other head units. I've only installed 1 kenwood with this capability.
--Sorry about the website...they used to have tons of stuff...I hope they arent shutting down:(. (meh lucky for me my friend has a good position at my local stereo store hehe)

enigma34 10-25-2007 06:24 AM

i whent on Sonicelectronix.com i can get this on ebay for $170. http://sonicelectronix.com/item_8776...+KDC-X791.html
I mean this is what you are talking about, low price, or a store. Anyways im geting close to knowing what i want, does anyone know how hard it is to take the stock stereo out of a 1996 civic HX? And when i take it out do i just hook it up?

Luke_Jones 10-25-2007 06:32 AM

I'm not completely sure on the removal of your stock unit, but you'll need a wiring harness that is made for your car. You'll wire that into the harness that comes with the deck and then yes...it will plug right in.

**Edit: lol always with the edits...I should think more thoroughly before I type. /sigh

Anyway...something to keep in mind is that the one on sonicelectronix comes with the harness as well as all other necessary installation hardware...if any is required to make that deck fit into your dash (not familiar offhand with a 96) but the ebay one doesnt. Harness usually runs ~$15 and the dash install kit ~$25 (if you even need one)

enigma34 10-25-2007 07:24 AM

ok. im going to get a head unit from sonicelectronix.com, becausei can get a unit that has everything i need to install it. Thanks forgiving mewebsite's to look at, it help me alot.Do i need CD Receivers with MP3 / WMA Playback, or CD Receivers?

Luke_Jones 10-25-2007 07:31 AM

Not sure what you are really asking there, personally I'd stick with that Kenwood head unit it you've been linking to this whole time.

mk378 10-25-2007 10:23 AM

Use a harness adapter (under $10, Crutchfield and possibly other places will throw one in when you buy a head unit from them) for your install. Do not cut the wires in the car. Instead, wire the adapter to your new HU then take it out to the car. Remove the stock HU and unplug it, plug the car plug into your adapter, and bolt in the new HU.

Since you have a '96 to 00 model you will also need to do the dome light mod (search for it) so the light in the car still comes on when you open the door.

enigma34 10-25-2007 10:51 AM

sounds easy. thanks:D

ORIGINAL: mk378

Use a harness adapter (under $10, Crutchfield and possibly other places will throw one in when you buy a head unit from them) for your install. Do not cut the wires in the car. Instead, wire the adapter to your new HU then take it out to the car. Remove the stock HU and unplug it, plug the car plug into your adapter, and bolt in the new HU.

Since you have a '96 to 00 model you will also need to do the dome light mod (search for it) so the light in the car still comes on when you open the door.

00IntegraLS 10-25-2007 10:59 AM

look on ebay, i got a 235 dollar sony deck, (yea, yea SONY, I personally love sony) with the front AUX imports which is for your ipod, for $97, brand new, original packaging, flawless, exactly what i would have expected if i went out and bought it from circuit city or something and paid the full 235 dollars