HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual & Electronics (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Reading DBs (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/reading-dbs-57518/)

PhillipBurch 12-20-2007 05:50 AM

Reading DBs

I bought a decibel reader and tried it out on my car.
I have Pioneer 6.5's in the front, stock tweeters,and stock in the rear (my Pioneer 6X9s will be installed soon) And I have two 10" Pioneer subs wired together, and they are hooked up to just my back speaker (no amp yet). The subs get to hitting hard, but not like I want. Getting an amp will help it beat harder right?

Anyways, Im not sure if I did the DB reader right. It said to have the reader inclosed in the car, and turn the music up. I did and the reader read 111.2 the first time. I messed with the sound some and got it to 115.6 decibels. That seemed too high to be true. On the package it showed a hald holding he reader inbetween two subs, so I did that and the reader said 118.7 db.

Im just wondering if I am doind this correctly.
This is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Spl100.../dp/B000EOMWD0
got mint for $12.

PirateX 12-20-2007 08:26 AM

RE: Reading DBs

ORIGINAL: PhillipBurch

I bought a decibel reader and tried it out on my car.
I have Pioneer 6.5's in the front, stock tweeters,and stock in the rear (my Pioneer 6X9s will be installed soon) And I have two 10" Pioneer subs wired together, and they are hooked up to just my back speaker (no amp yet). The subs get to hitting hard, but not like I want. Getting an amp will help it beat harder right?

Anyways, Im not sure if I did the DB reader right. It said to have the reader inclosed in the car, and turn the music up. I did and the reader read 111.2 the first time. I messed with the sound some and got it to 115.6 decibels. That seemed too high to be true. On the package it showed a hald holding he reader inbetween two subs, so I did that and the reader said 118.7 db.

Im just wondering if I am doind this correctly.
This is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Spl100.../dp/B000EOMWD0
got mint for $12.
Your stereo is loud enough to permanently damage your hearing! Congratulations! $12 well spent.

According to http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/hearingloss.cfm, 115 dB is loud enough to cause permanent hearing damage within 30 seconds.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish with your reading. If you want to see how much sound pressure you are putting on your ears at normal level, drive around a bit, turn the stereo up to where you'd normally have it, and then pull out your meter at a red light or stop sign. You are allowed to sit in the car while doing the test. You can also hold the meter.

Please note: Higher dB readings do not equate to higher levels of "hardcoreness"; rather they equate to quicker hearing loss at a young age.

If you want to be good to your body, keep the volume in your car below 85 dB.

addiction2bass 12-20-2007 11:29 AM

below 85db...... hahahahhahahahaha

with my 99coupe im pumpen typicaly 136db.... thats nothing realy.....

but i dont know about that little cheap reader thing....
with legal DB testing they are suposed to be around the front windshield towards the passenger side towards the bottom of the windshield....

but you cannt just meter all kinds of music... cause some songs are LOW and some are HIGHER, different frequincies and everything..
my civics sweet note is around 44hz but every car is different and changed by how you have it all setup..

PhillipBurch 12-20-2007 11:29 AM

Well, when I'm driving in my car I keep it at about 105 dbs then. At times I drive with it 115. I hope it gets louder when my 6x9s and amp for my sub are hooked up.

My subs are hooked up together, mono, will that push just as hard as if they were hooked up seperatly? Would I need a 2 channel amp to hook them up to it to make it beat harder? Or just keep them mono and hook them up to an amp?

PirateX 12-20-2007 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass
with my 99coupe im pumpen typicaly 136db.... thats nothing realy.....
Depends on which source you are reading, but generally the "threshold of pain" is between 120 and 140 decibels. 135 decibels is approximately equal to the pressure created on the ear by a jet airplane taking off from 100 feet.

Hey, I'm just a kid. I'm not trying to play the "old man" card here. I like my music loud too; I'm just saying you've only got one set of ears. Use them wisely.

It will be interesting to see the statistics of people with hearing aids when the "iPod generation" gets into their 40s or 50s.

mill$civic 12-20-2007 01:17 PM

That could be right, its not that high at all. I have a really small amp and I hitabout a138db.

magic_mohawk 12-20-2007 04:23 PM

That reader thing kinda sucks. I bought one and put it in my Sedan whenit ran and it topped it out at 136. Since then my system has gotten louder, my guess is that it runs in the 150-160 Db range. Basicly when you sit at a light, everything you see is vibrating.

chisox64 12-20-2007 04:59 PM

I will play the old man car for anyone who cares. When I was younger, I had an awesome system (for the 80's anyway). I always drove around with the system up. Now I'm in my 40's and I can't hold a conversation in a crowded room because my hearing is toast. Certain frequencies, like those emitted by my children, make my brain rattle. I still play the music loud from time to time, but I'm done with amps.

A little food for thought boys...80 dB for a few hours a day will damage your hearing and it does not return. Its fun now, but you'll need your hearing longer than you will be blasting music. Believe it or not, we all grow up (sort of).

kokasian 12-20-2007 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: magic_mohawk

That reader thing kinda sucks. I bought one and put it in my Sedan whenit ran and it topped it out at 136. Since then my system has gotten louder, my guess is that it runs in the 150-160 Db range. Basicly when you sit at a light, everything you see is vibrating.
you do realize that the difference between 150 and 160db is huge, right? Every db is percieved by the human ear as being twice as loud as the last. Around 145db you need hearing protection and 150 will make your hair stand up, roof flex, and a lot of other crazy stuff. My stereo at 131db ( db drag tested, thanks addiction for the bass cd) makes stuff appear to be vibrating, its actually your eyes vibrating in your head

civicduty96 12-20-2007 07:17 PM

a 150 db will make you reach for the door handle..... unless your hardcore than you can stand a 156 db or so.....i know iv'e helped build a couple spl cars...... my coworker has a daily bumpin tahoe that does a 154db playing music ..... it's intense