Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Thumping noise when amp turns on....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:54 PM
HCF Member
Default Thumping noise when amp turns on....

When my 4 channel amp kicks on all of the speakers in the car turn off and makes this somewhat load thumping noise......It goes, thump..thump.........thump..thump.....thump..thump ......Why does it do this? It doesn't do it all of the time, just sometimes. It doesn't matter what the volume is set at....it still does it anyway. The lights in the car dim when it thumps.......I have know idea why.

It didn't do this with my previous cd deck that I had....it only does this with the new one that I got.

It also does it when the car is off and the radio is playing, then I turn the car on.

Could it be an installation problem? (wireing problem maybe)

Does the car battery have anything to do with this?

If anybody has any idea as to what might be causing this please let me know.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Default RE: Thumping noise when amp turns on....

Find a solid part of the car that hasn't been welded on, like an actual mainf rame part of the car, sanded it down to shiny metal and ground both amps there. Also try hooking up a relay for the remote turn-on that should fix that issue.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:19 PM
HCF Member

My friend's Tibby does that thump noise and did before he got a sub. It came with an aftermarket Panasonic head unit. It does it through the amp also and makes me cringe seeing his w3's go out like they do. We believe it is his head unit. That could be your problem. (bad h/u) And you did say it didn't do it with the old h/u so that's what it leads me to believe.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:41 PM
June 2010 ROTM

I had that problem UNTIL just recently. I figured out that I had my remote wire wired from some random blue-white wire and not the actual blue-white wire from the HU. There's a wiring harness in the same area as the HU harness and there just happens to be two wires that are blue-white. One is the acutal remote and the other is for the fan relay.

Before I fixed the wiring no-no, if I would turn the fan above position 1, the amp would lose power.

So, check that the remote wire goes from the amp to the HU and NOT to the other harness.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:21 AM
HCF Member

I might suggest the 4 speakers to the 4 ch. amp. And the sub to the 2 ch. amp. Connest the remote turn on to the 4 ch. and run from this connection, to the 2 ch. amp. (The 2 ch. depending on the voice coil configuration... of course)

Old 07-23-2007, 12:01 PM
HCF Member

I went back to the place that installed my radio and they said that the positive terminal to the battery was very loose. He showed me how loose it was. It was screwed on as tight as it can go, but still you can lift the terminal right off of the post.

He hooked a voltage meter up to the amps and at low volume it was at aropund 13 volts. When you turn the volume up a bit it goes down to about 10 volts. He said that isn't ssupposed to go down that much. So, he thinks ot is just the positive terminal on the batter being loose. I will change it within the next couple of days and see if it does it again.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:41 PM

if its an old amp it might lack a silent turn on/off feature. I have a power acoustic amp from like 1992 and it lacks it so I get a little thump from my 6x9s when i turn my car off

Old 07-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Loosen the terminal bolt, clean up the metal surfaces and push the terminal all the way down onto the battery post, then tighten the bolt. That should fix it without buying anything. Do this to the minus terminal too.

It's best to disconnect the minus first and reconnect it last, as then if your wrench touches ground while working on the plus, it won't spark.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:24 AM

get a thicker remote wire. or double check it, they might be loosing contact

Old 07-24-2007, 04:19 AM
Administrator

my friends rca's were loose in the back of his head unit and caused a thumping out of the subs, put them in tightly and everything went good from there, maybe try that?

Quick Reply: Thumping noise when amp turns on....