Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Meg's 3 step clean/polish/wax kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:08 PM
HCF Member
Default Meg's 3 step clean/polish/wax kit

I just picked up the 3 step system from Meguiurs, sp?.. Anyway I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips on how to go about doing it.

I have seen the claybar kits, even the new synthetic ICE system, I thought about doing that first, I doubt my car has been polished/waxed in years, so it's going to take some effort to get it shiny again, but I am going to paint it soon enough, so I don't want to throw down a ton of effort before I get around to doing that.

Anyway, I bought a 10" polisher, some microfiber and terry bonnets, and some microfiber and terry towels. I was planning on washing it a few times, then doing the paint cleaner, polish, and follow up by the carnuba wax.

I am reading all these threads a little at a time to try and figure out the best way to do it, but I stay busy, so it's hard to get time to research them all. Any quick tips I can soak up for a semi-decent clean/polish/wax job next week? I.E. Don't rub in circles, rub in circles, clay bar-no clay bar, etc?

If you know what I am talking about, the 3 step kit, you will probably have used it before, I hear alot of good things about Meg's products, I had some of their wheel cleaner a while back when i had chrome rims, it worked like magic.

Thanks in advance, and don't waste too much time on me, I am sure all the info I need is researchable in the old threads anyway.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Default RE: Meg's 3 step clean/polish/wax kit

its a good idea to clean ur car very well before a new paint job, its part of the painting process. im no expert and i havnt used meguiars3 step(just use their clay kit) but heres my lil process.

-rinse car real well with hi pressure hose.
-drop a couple oz. of wash in clean bucket and mix well with water till it over flows with foam.
-use a large car wash brush and clean car from top to bottom and every panel thoroughly with very foamy water/soap.
-rinse suds off with hi pressure hose.
-repeat process again(brush car with foamy water and rinse off).
-dry off with a clean shammy.
- get w/e dirt that still may be on paint off with clay kit.
-polish car with a polisher one panel at a time. wait until hazy then i wipe off(not rotate/buff) area.
-clean windows/side moldings(incase i get any window cleaner or molding cleaner on paint i can buff of with wax)
-use wheel/tire cleaners(same reason if it gets on paint)
-wax each panel at a time with buffer. wait until hazy then wipe off(not rotate/buff) area.

i never have troubles with swirl marks or residue from wax. always use clean microfiber/terry cloth. usually it'll take me about 3 hours from start to finish...

Old 03-05-2007, 08:15 PM
HCF Member

^^^ eeverything he said is good, do that. The only thing i had a problem with was the "brush" lol i would never touch my paint with a "brush" , id reccomend one of those felt washing gloves, they are soft, wont leave marks and work excellent. Buy 2 if you get the chance because they work even better on wheels, they almost magnetically attract crap on the wheels that you dont even see, its magical lol

Old 03-05-2007, 08:26 PM

the brush i use has very soft bistles. the reason i use a brush is because the bristles can get small particles of dirt off and it is a bit rougher than the hand towels u mentioned which makes getting off dirt easier/better. i think its better to scrub any dirt/grime of other than just wipe over it with a soft towel.the one i use is made for washing cars, its soft and has a hose adaptor for if i wanted to spray water while scrubing. whenever i used a hand towel, it'd always wipe some of the suds off. scrubing with the brush actually creats more suds.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:18 PM
HCF Member

oh ok thats cool too, ive never seen those , lol alls i could picture when u said brush was those plastic things with bristles on em that you clean a shower with.....lol i was like NOOOO!!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:08 AM
HCF Member

so then the buffer isn't really much help, I am guessing?

I was hoping it could cut down my buffing time somewhat. But I don't want it to cause more of those damn swirl marks.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:08 PM
HCF Member

sounds like a nice kit to me, how much was it?

Old 03-14-2007, 10:09 AM
HCF Member

I just bought 3 bottles, they sit right next to eachother on the rack at most stores. One is a cleaner, one a polisher, and 1 a carnuba to keep the water off that sucka.

I just cleaned and skipped the polish and went straight to the carnuba. I used a terry bonnet to apply them both and a microfiber bonnet to take em off after they dried. My paint has never looked so good, but its still crappy. I can deal with it until i get a new paint job and the body kit I have had my eye on for a while.

Daddy needs some money :-)

Old 03-14-2007, 09:37 PM
HCF Member

sounds like daddys got some drugs to sell..lol jk good luck though man sounds like you got some good goals set for you and your civ

Old 03-14-2007, 09:48 PM
HCF Member

post some pics after you get this done stu.....

Quick Reply: Meg's 3 step clean/polish/wax kit