HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/detailing-41/)
-   -   Rain-X and Invisible Glass (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/detailing-41/rain-x-invisible-glass-49003/)

Adamation 07-30-2007 08:28 AM

Rain-X and Invisible Glass

I decided to try some Rain-X the other day. Maybe I didn't do it right, but I decided I don't like it that much, and also it does not seem to work well with Invisible Glass, which I use alot since my car is new and I'm a little obsessive. I've noticed since I tried the rain-x, I can see streaks from the Invisible Glass, which didn't happen before.

Might seem like an odd question, but can I get the rain-x OFF somehow?

mxs 07-30-2007 08:37 AM

RE: Rain-X and Invisible Glass

I use both of those products on all of my cars, without problems. You may need to just buff it again with a cotton cloth. I usually have to do that again after a day or two.

Adamation 07-30-2007 08:41 AM

Just a cloth by itself? it's been a few days since i put on the rain X. Maybe I didnt do it right...would another coat hurt? Hope I have it on right.

mxs 07-30-2007 08:44 AM

Yeah, just spray a tiny bit of water on there, and buff it with a clean cloth.

Did you use the rain-x wipes, or the spray?

Adamation 07-30-2007 08:46 AM

I bought the spray. I got these products in my endevour to conquor rain/water spots.

It's an obession!

mxs 07-30-2007 08:48 AM

did you spray it onto a cloth, and then rub it on the windshield, like the directions say?

I think if you sprayed rain-x right on the glass you might get way too much of it on there.

Adamation 07-30-2007 08:56 AM

Yeah I did that, not sure honestly how well I did the whole making cicles and letting it haze up and all that. I dont know how distinct the hazy was suppose to be before I wiped it.

I THINK the cloth I used to wipe afterwards might of been a little damp from water. I dont know if that would affect it negatively. I thought that might have something to do with the Invisible Glass now leaving behind the wipe lines that are heavily visible in the sun.

BX_Civic 07-30-2007 09:03 AM

Good read as im going to apply rain X on my glass this weekend as well. Actually may just do that like tonight so ill be ready for rain this weekend if it pops up.

Adamation 07-30-2007 09:55 AM

I just thought to mention that before I used the Rain-X, I had used a Vinegar/Water solution spray to rid some water spots.

BX_Civic 07-30-2007 10:41 AM

Cool thaks for the heads up, i do have some light spots that i will clean using the Vinegar and water as you just mentioned.

s2000gtx 07-30-2007 11:05 AM

I too use rain-x and all this time i been using it the wrong way lol i usually just spray it on the glass and than wipe and buff. and than i usually have to buff it like 2 moretimes so the glass can get fully clear. but oher than thth it work really great if u do it ocne a week u should be good

Live_4it 07-31-2007 12:20 AM

I like rainX aswell and think itworks awesome,but I recommend you don't get the rain X wiper fluid.... It works well however it left residue on my hood around the squirter's (dunno tech term) and it was such a b**** to get off. I scrubbed with a brush/car soap, meguiars clay bars, polished and waxed. And still you could see the residue. Eventually I got it all off.... but I haven't used my squirty since lol.

Adamation 07-31-2007 06:41 AM

Im still having trouble with my windows. I have dry streaks I just cant get off. I dont know if the Rain-X has left them or just the combination of products I have used, but what's a good method of really getting a window clean?

I wish I could get the Rain-X off and start again.

mill$civic 07-31-2007 10:14 AM

I use invisible glass, I dont put it on when the windows are hot though, just in my garage. And I only use it when I wash my car,also use a dry microfiber cloth, dont get it to damp with the spray. I havent had problems, the only time I have streaking problems is if the cloth gets to damp.

Adamation 07-31-2007 10:39 AM

That might be my problem, the towel is too damp. I do have some Microfiber Glass towels, though nothing expensive. Been meaning to order a better quality one online, like a Cobra.
Need to wash the ones I have now, in the meantime.

matts 08-01-2007 06:04 AM

i've never had a problem with rain-x.

my process:squirt rain-x ona folded papertowel and wipe it on the glass in circular motions in a small section (roughly 3'x3'). reapply to same area again and then move on to the next section.

you're going to have some nasty streaks on the windows after your done.i've never had any kind of luck trying to buff them out with a clean towel, or even with a little bit of water. i always use glass cleaner and newspaper to clean the windows afterward. it gets them clean and takes off just a minimal amount of the rain-x.

Fiirkan 08-01-2007 06:22 AM

I use both RainX and Invisable glass, and if you follw the directions for both to a t then you shouldn't have any issues be sure to not use like paper towel though you wanna use a microfiber cloth or terry cloth for best results

Adamation 08-01-2007 06:31 AM

Yeah I do use some nice Towels with the stuff, both products. The dry haze streaks might not be caused from either product. Going to try and just clean the windows off. Maybe it's Magic Eraser Time.

mxs 08-01-2007 06:37 AM

eww, don't use that

have you tried using invisible glass and newspaper? that works REALLY well.

Adamation 08-01-2007 06:42 AM

I have before, it works fine. The Eraser I mean. On anothe forum someone posted the exact kind of haze streaks Im having a problem with (Though mine are to a much lesser degree) and the ME worked for him. Ive used them before.

I dont feel comfortable using Paper on the windows. Ick.

matts 08-02-2007 07:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Adamation

I have before, it works fine. The Eraser I mean. On anothe forum someone posted the exact kind of haze streaks Im having a problem with (Though mine are to a much lesser degree) and the ME worked for him. Ive used them before.

why? newspaper cleans better than any paper towel, microfiber, dish towel, oak leaf, etc. i've ever used

ksrecon 08-02-2007 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: matts

why? newspaper cleans better than any paper towel, microfiber, dish towel, oak leaf, etc. i've ever used
+1 for newspaper

Basil 08-27-2007 12:34 PM

I rain-X all the time because I live in Washington, but just so you know, less is more... like Mill said, dont put too much, and do it in a cool place if you can. I have never used both the rain-X and invisible glass together so that could be your problem, but I can really say.

Basil 08-27-2007 12:37 PM

p.s. +2 for newspaper

RCJr9186 08-29-2007 11:32 AM

i always hated rain x until i actually read the directions on how to apply it... since then, no problems :)

basbal123 08-29-2007 02:49 PM

+1 for invisible glass, just follow the directions and use a microfiber towel thats what i use. Look at my pics in my album my glass is perfect!!!! :D

tuner student 11-06-2007 12:15 PM

does it matter if these microfiber towels are cheap or should you spend the extra buck or two. i mean how much should a decent one cost. i've been wanting to do rain-x on my car but after reading these post i don't want to screw it up. that and everytime i have time it rains :(

s0ulj3r 11-13-2007 09:54 AM

I just thought to mention that before I used the Rain-X, I had used a Vinegar/Water solution spray to rid some water spots.
thats your problem, vinegar and water solution sucks imo.. fogs up WAY to easy.