Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Rescued my paint job for $10

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 05:13 PM
HCF Member
Default Rescued my paint job for $10

That's how much I paid for Meguier's Ultimate Compound: Meguiar's Direct

It's a minimally abrasive compound that will take the scratches, swirls and imperfections out of your paint's clear coat.

I messed-up my car's hood today when I accidentally waxed in dried soap and bug & tar remover into the hood. I tried everything to get the chemical stains out to no avail. I drove to Pep Boys and was looking for a good cleaner wax but decided to try the Ultimate Compound instead.

I'm glad I bought the stuff. It worked freakin' GREAT.

I put it on by hand with an applicator pad all over my s2000's hood. Then I removed it with an orbital buffer. Then I polished it with an ultra-soft microfiber towel. The stuff even took out the deep spider web scratches in my original paint.

I had to do it two or three times in certain sections, but the chemical haze and swirls all came right out and I could literally see myself in my car's finish afterward.

I also took out a stubborn scratch out of my car's rear quarter panel where something fell onto it, like a bike or something, with Meguiar's Scratch-X.

Rubbed the stuff on on with an applicator pad, buffed it out with the same orbital buffer and then re-waxed the area with carnuba wax. Good as new.

Meh, Meguiar's, I love you!!1 lol.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:29 PM
HCF Member

Yeah Meguiar's got some good stuff!
I use their rubbing compound as well.
You should put this in the products review section as well! lol

Old 07-03-2011, 05:36 PM
HCF Member

I almost bought rubbing compound but that's the nuclear option because it can burn your paint if you rub too hard.

I wussed out and went with the weaker stuff first. Lol

Old 07-04-2011, 09:00 AM
HCF Member

I have had decent results with that as well, I am more of a fan of the Mcgwires 105 cutting solution though, buy it at a automotive paint store, and apply it by RA.

thats good that you were able to get it waxed out, I know the feeling of panick when it is just not turning out right.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:15 AM
HCF Member

All I could think of was $$$ because I thought I would need for the hood to be re-painted. And s2000 hoods are HUGE...lol.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:46 PM
HCF Member

i will admit it is an excellent product, i have seen nothing but good things about their polishing/buffing products, just not as big of a fan of their waxes and whatnots.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:03 PM

Having your car buffed by a professional can make a dull paint job into new money!

Old 12-14-2011, 02:08 PM

wow this is awesome!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:02 PM
HCF Member

i am a 100% meguiars fan boy, nothin but meguiars touches my car

Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 PM

There is another one you can get to it's made by a company called G3 I believe. Liquid Compound. Damp cloth and that stuff and you can do wonders. I've used it to restore headlights, bring full life back into body parts of cars that have dulled out in the sun or faded in time, remove rust stains and break dust, buffing, and other imperfections.

Quick Reply: Rescued my paint job for $10