ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

ground wires give you HP gains? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Default RE: ground wires give you HP gains? WTF?

Your grounding system is different than ignition wires. While better ignition wires will definitely make a difference because of the better spark, a great grounding system won't make a big impact on much of anything unless you compare it to a grounding system that really needs a lot of cleanup and work. And in that case, you can do all the cleanup and work yourself to make the same outcome, without spending megabucks on super-duper grounding wires.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:40 PM

i got a new battery today, and i had to replace the skimpy ground wire, so i got a big azz 4 ga. wire and a new gold plated top post connector with an open slot for another wire.

i think i'm actually going to put an 8 ga wire in the open slot and run it to the motor, if there are gains to be had, that should do it. i'll let everyone know if i feel a difference.

i'm a little more interested in wires made by accell, though, but that's another thread.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:43 PM

Polo has it down pat again...His post is correct to mondo...
WheelBroker

ORIGINAL: polo708

actually grounding systems are dyno proven, but its totally dependant on the grounding points you select. I have seen with my own eyes a 6 whp gain (friends V8 Stang), and a few on magazines of 3 and 5 hp gains to the wheel. Its also in the most current issue of import tuner if you dont believe me.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i have that exsact same kit on my car,,,,,,,,, but i dont think that it increases 5-8 hp maybe on a highly modified engine......... but i did notice that the engine rpms were more stable all through out the rpm range which i saw a litttle bit of a power difference but no 5-8hp maybe 2hp at the max....if that.....for that price it isnt bad...

just my 02

Old 05-28-2005, 03:21 AM

Wow! Just imagine the HP gains if you welded the motor directly to the body or the chassis.....vvvvvvrrrrrrroooooooooommmmm!
NOT!

Old 05-29-2005, 01:17 AM

well, if a 7 wire kit gives you 5-8 horses, i can't wait to bolt on my custom 158 wire kit! it's made from an ENTIRE 50lb. SPOOL of 8-ga wire. i should get like 140-165 AT THE WHEELZ!

ok, just kidding. i didn't get around to putting that extra ground wire on today (but i did get a carbon fiber hood!), i'll be hooking up the ohm-meter and doing some tests tomorrow, so i should be able to get the best ground possible. whether or not that actually accomplishes anything, i'll let you know.

Old 05-30-2005, 02:14 AM

well, today i probed about the motor with my ohmeter, and i found the worst ground points to be the cylinder head, the exhaust manifold (which i could care less about), and the intake manifold/throttle body. the block had the best ground, but it also has a ground wire already going to the body. so, i ran a wire to the intake, and then i daisy chained it to the cylinder head (which theoretically would have the best chance of giving you any gains by improving the spark).

then i started the car. it seemed to run a little smoother at idle, but i didn't feel any pants-pooping performance jumps. even if the results have been dyno proven, a 5-8 hp jump really isn't that much, and i'm sure that comes from a car that already made 300+ (like the stang mentioned earlier).

so, i guess i answered my own question. "yeah, but not really."

Old 06-12-2005, 10:13 PM

In the latest Honda Tuning mag. they put a Hyper voltage System on a Acura TL. Stablizes voltage through the car. They installed that, a true CAI and cat back exhaust on it and got a 30 HP gain on the dyno. They sell the voltage kit for $130.00. Just check out the latest H T mag.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:05 AM

Once again, read the original post. He was asking about grounding on his ride, and people are telling him about spark plug wires to voltage stabilizers.
Yes, maybe these upgrades will give him a bit more HP, but a turbo would give him even more! Does that mean he should just scrap the grounding idea and spend mega bucks on all this other stuff? How about commenting on the actual question?

Old 08-13-2006, 06:02 AM

Just thread jacking this wondering if people bought the ebay version of this ground.. since only 25 bucks shipped vs the 100+ that the Sun auto and other versions cost that are listed through TPRMAG ..

Quick Reply: ground wires give you HP gains? WTF?