ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

tuning what does it mean

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Default tuning what does it mean

i been reading alot lately and i am always seeing make sure you get a good tune and a custom base map

what do you guys mean good tune and base map. Is that like a custom mapping for the air/fuel ratio.

just wondering

Old 06-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Super Cereal Admin

It's basically reprogramming the computer in the car via a flash programmer or a chip. Usually it involves air fuel ratios, ignition advance/retard, etc.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

Tuning is done with either some sort of piggy back fuel management or engine management or a stand alone fuel/ignition system.

Examples of these systems are:

Apexi SAFC/VAFC
Hondata s100/s200/s300
Crome
Neptune
eCtune
MoTeC
AEM EMS
Greddy

If you have any of these piggybacks or stand alones you can tune an engine although typically the only time tunes are done on engines are when you start getting behind your basic I/H/E mods. When you start modifying the internals and such you typically have to increase the fuel injector size, when you increase your fuel injector size you need to reprogram your fuel maps to compensate for this. With newer software you can adjust fuel maps for each gear, amount of boost, control boost by gear, etc etc etc

A basemap is just a fuel map that is just good enough to limp the car around to your tuner and to have it dyno tuned and a full map programmed. Never rely on any basemap for any kind of real driving or high RPMs.

Hope this answers your question about tuning and welcome to HCF.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:23 AM

thanks really appreciate the answers, still new to this, just researched a tune at a shop in my home town they charge 125 an hour, and 65 for dyno.

how is that price for yall?

and 315 customs you sig almost made me break my laptop i thought it was an actual bug lol

Old 06-29-2009, 06:41 PM
HCF Member

there are a few ways to tune, including dyno tuning and street tuning, in which you either run your car on a dyno and have it tuned, or bring your car out on the street and tune it just driving it on the streets. Street tuning is usually cheaper and sometimes not as efficient since you're restricted by speed limits and streets, while dyno tunes you can push your car to the extreme and get your whole speed/rpm range through each gear. Tuning both is the best you could ask for, but there are people that just use there car as a DD and have a street tune and are doing just fine (just as myself). Hope i helped a little.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:15 PM

ok thanks i appreciate the answer, i understand alot better now