HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   ECU Tuning & Fuel Management (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/ecu-tuning-fuel-management-33/)
-   -   Y8 RUNNING RICH (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/ecu-tuning-fuel-management-33/y8-running-rich-20287/)

D16DAVE 04-14-2006 09:25 AM

Y8 RUNNING RICH

I HAVE A 98 EX CIVIC. THE ENG HAS STOCK INTERNALS. INTAKE /HEADERS/ 2.5 INCH PIPNG FROM THE HEADER TO THE MUFF WITH NO CONVERTER. I AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH MY CAR RUNNING RICH. I NOT SURE IF ITS A 02 SENSOR OR ECU PROBLEM OR IF ITS A STUCK INJECTOR OR VALVE. JUST WANDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM OR KNOW WHERE TO START.

AgentofDarkness 04-14-2006 09:47 AM

RE: Y8 RUNNING RICH

Is there any check engine light? If there is a check engine light that would be the place to start. I would check the fuel injectors just to make sure they are opening and closing. I think you can listen to the injectors to hear them opening and closing. You could also get this trigger thing that you point at the injector and it flashes a light whenever the injector opens.

D16DAVE 04-14-2006 11:33 AM

I DO HAVE A MIL FOR CODE PO420 WICH IS CATALYST DETERATION. BUT ALSO KEEP IN MIND THAT I HAVE NO CATYLITIC CONVERTER ,HEADER AND 2.5 INCH PIPING BACK. I ALSO DID RESEARCH ON ALLDATA AND THEY SAID LOOSE TERMINALS ON THE DISTRBUTOR WILL ALSO CAUSE THIS CODE TO BE PRESENT IN THE ECU.

Marty 04-14-2006 02:38 PM

Please turn you caps lock off

Street Sniper 04-14-2006 02:39 PM

So do you have an o2 sensor? You will run rich if you have a CEL. Hop do you know you are running rich?

D16DAVE 04-14-2006 04:23 PM

yes i do have (2) o2 sensors. i know im running rich because there is a 1/4 inch of carbon on my bumper and i get about 250 miles per tank. im just wandering if this is a common problem with hondas or just mine

Berzerker 04-14-2006 06:11 PM

If you dont have a cat the ECU will think somthing is wrong because your 2nd O2 is gonna be the same reading as the first one. You need to get a 2nd 02 sensor device that fools the ECU into thinking that you still have a cat.

Berz out.

AgentofDarkness 04-14-2006 08:15 PM

I don't think that a P0420 will cause your engine to run rich. That code pretty much just says your cat is bad/not doing anything. What is the voltage on the 1st O2 sensor? If the sensor is varies between 100mv to 600mv, then there isn't a problem. However, if the sensor is showing that there is always a lean mixture then that is a problem since the computer will try to richen the mixture by adding more fuel. If you can find a way to make the 2nd O2 sensor give a reading off 100mv then the code will go away, but since the O2 sensor isn't a passive sensor i don't think you can just throw a resistor across the terminals of the sensor.