ED-EF Swaps 1991 and older Civics, CRXs

96 non vtec into 91 dx hatch motor only HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 08:18 PM
HCF Member
Default 96 non vtec into 91 dx hatch motor only HELP!

I have a 91 dx hatch 5 spd that runs pretty good but eats and leaks oil bad. I want to put a 96 non vtec engine in her and am wondering if i could just put my old tranny and old intake on it. My old intake is a dual point fi 1.5 with obviousely no fuel rail. Will this swap work or am i just dreaming?

Please help

Thanks in advance, Dave

Old 07-26-2005, 09:38 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 96 non vtec into 91 dx hatch motor only HELP!

I hope i'm not asking a dumb question. I'm pretty sure the trans and intake will bolt up but just wondering if it will work.

Old 07-26-2005, 10:40 PM
HCF Member

hmm. maybe if you could get your old distributor to bolt on it might just work.

Old 07-26-2005, 10:45 PM
HCF Member

Sorry im dumb. Are you telling me it cant be done? or are you saying the distributor might bolt on?

Old 07-26-2005, 10:50 PM
HCF Member

if your distributor will bolt on, it might work. the dizzys are different between OBD systems.

Old 07-27-2005, 05:12 PM
HCF Member

Is there somewhere I can research or cross reference between the two engines so i dont have to ask a million questions and **** everyone off. I would like to do this swap as cheaply as possible. I'm not looking for a race car here. I find my 1.5 is just fine but it's going to blow up soon I think.

Old 07-28-2005, 04:07 PM

good call man. im doin tha same thing and i need the exact same info. im throwing in a 99 d16y7 into my 91 dx hatch and i cant match the new hydrolic clutch tanny with my old cable clutch tranny. i needa know if the old tranny will match the 99 engine or any cheap ways to convert to a hydrolic clutch (most economic conversion PLEASE!!!!).

Old 07-28-2005, 11:23 PM
HCF Member

use your stock tranny. i think there might be a clutch issue, but im not sure.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:27 PM
HCF Member

I found a good place to cross reference honda parts. It's at www.hondapartsdeals.com. You can look up any part you want and they give you prices and fairly detailed pictures of the parts. It looks like my tranny should fit, My old intake might fit (probably not), my dizzy looks different but bolts in the same way, and my exhaust manifold will fit. Looks like it could be a real nightmare! Woo Hoo! If anyone has any ideas please let me hear them. Otherwise i'll let you's all know how it turns out! Hopefully the ol' 1.5 keeps chugging along for a bit.

Old 07-30-2005, 02:45 PM

ur gonna need the dizzy for the new motor cuz the wiring harness does not match to the old dizzy. i just tried yesterday. there's also one more plug on the harness that i cant find a match to. it's a plug right beside the two plugs for the dizzy. everything else matches up. theres an extra plug on the harness that your gonna have. its for the speedometer hookup on the new tranny. i gotta find a way to trip it or something because the 91 tranny is a cable speedometer. i also ran into a problem on the end of the wiring harness. one end plugs into the ecu but the other end is supposed to go to another harness (possibly to the cluster and such) but the 91 harness doesnt match up. im workin on a way to just match and connect the wires without using the whole plastic plug. ill let u know how it works but see what u can get for me also. THANKS and good luck. hopefully we can both get this $#!t done together.

Quick Reply: 96 non vtec into 91 dx hatch motor only HELP!