HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   ED-EF Swaps (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/ed-ef-swaps-35/)
-   -   B16A OBD0 swap in '89 Civic 3 hatch (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/ed-ef-swaps-35/b16a-obd0-swap-89-civic-3-hatch-75113/)

slowcivicdx 04-27-2009 10:10 AM

B16A OBD0 swap in '89 Civic 3 hatch

Alright, I have sitting in my shop a B16A from Hmotorsonline.com. It's the complete swap and I think that I have everything I need. I'm doing a clutch, timing belt, water pump... etc, etc... things that need to be replaced. But here is my question. Did I need anything "special"? Basically, do I need anything that hmotors didn't send me. I keep seeing posts about different throttle cables, etc etc. things that don't line up with the new motor and stuff.

civtec00 04-27-2009 07:01 PM

yeah, you will need a throttle cable from a 90-93 integra. depending on what your swap came with you will need the L bracket from a 90-93 integra (unless your swap has it),
90-93 integra axles and halfshaft, or 94-01 integra axles and half shaft. ive used both setups and they seem the same. you will need mounts, and shift linkage. the stock clutch cable will work fine. did your swap come out of the integra xsi, or a civic, if it came out of the integra, you will need to reuse your stock vehicle speed sensor, out of the civic tranny. the stock speedometer cable will work fine also. i bought the ctr pulley for my 90 civic with an ls, because the stock pulley hit the strut rod, on my 89 civic si with an ls/vtec i have an unorthodox racing pulley. but with the etd racing traction bar there is a lot more room anyway. other than that and wiring you should be good.

slowcivicdx 04-28-2009 05:38 AM

This is what I got from hmotors
- Motor
- Cable Tranny (Y1, S1, J1)
- ECU (PR3, PW0)
- Axles with Half Shaft
- Shift Linkage*
- Stock Motor Mounts*
- Alternator
- Starter
- Clutch
- Flywheel
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Distributor
- Engine Harness
- Comes With All Sensors Needed
I got the axles, and the motor mounts to fit my civic. I also got the right shift linkage. So the only thing I was worried about is the throttle cable.
So I just go to Autozone and pick up a stock throttle cable for a 90-93 integra?
Also, which L bracket are you referring too?
Last question, will I have to order a ctr pulley? or can I get away with using the stock one on the motor?
(thanks for the help)

civtec00 04-28-2009 05:51 PM

the l bracket bolts to the back of the motor and tranny,and goes to the mount on the rear crossmember, your swap probably came with it though.
for the throttle cable you can get it at a parts store or a junkyard, from a 90-93 integra. i had my ls in my civic for a while with the stock pulley on it. it rubbed on the arm pretty bad when you hit a decent sized bump. the ctr pulley is about $70 at password jdm i think. but you wont be able to have a/c or p/s because the pulley only has one groove for the alternator, you will have to get a shorter belt also.

slowcivicdx 04-29-2009 06:49 AM

Yes, I have checked the mounting kit I got and I have that L bracket you talked about. I also went and got a throttle cable. I couldn't find a junk Integra, so I bought a new one (oh well, it works)
But the pulley problem still worries me. I plan to keep ac and since my car didn't come with power steering, I'm not going to worry with it. Now can I find a smaller pulley and still keep the AC? or will I have to endure the hot Arkansas summers without it?

civtec00 04-29-2009 04:10 PM

there might be some underdrive pulleys that have 2 grooves, maybe from aem, or unorthodox racing. other than that a traction bar will give you a little more room. i got mine from etd racing.

tajoie76 08-13-2010 07:27 PM

with traction bar stock pulley doesnt hit ive also got ac have to have it down here lol