HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   ED-EF Swaps (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/ed-ef-swaps-35/)
-   -   B18 into a 1990 hatchback (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/ed-ef-swaps-35/b18-into-1990-hatchback-13355/)

alexis_delgado 11-30-2005 09:02 AM

B18 into a 1990 hatchback

I just bought a 1996 GSR Head and a B18A block to install it on a 1990 hatch. I will like to everything that I need for this swap and the easiest way to do it. I also have the transmission from the GSR, but it's hidraulic and my mechanic told me that it is to hard to convert my hatch to make the hatch hidraulic. I will like to know if somebody done it and or if its possible to do it. And if I have to replace my tranny which will the same or higher quality cable tranny than the GSR's tranny.

Jezb18c3 01-12-2006 06:23 AM

RE: B18 into a 1990 hatchback

hello my friend. i have a 1989 hatch and have fitted a 96 jdm type r in it. first of all you will need custom engine mounts. then the gearbox shift linkages will need to be modified. i used a gearbox out of a 91 ls integra its cable and fits straight on to any 8 series. if your really keen on a hydraulic setup, hasport sells a conversion kit for cable to hydraulic. they also sell the engine mounts. the engine harness will also need to be modified to fit the new. if yours is a carby and i dont see why it wouldnt be you will also need the new fuel system which includes surge tank, pre pump and main pump. thats about all the major things for the conversion that i can think of any way. it cost me around $9500australian to complete the swap. happy days

finalimpact 01-12-2006 06:41 PM

definatly hit up hasport for there mounts and conversion linkage which allows you to stay cable but run the hydro tranny. unless you can find someone willing to trade your gsr tranny for another cable gsr tranny. like stated you can either modify your current shift linkages or buy hasports swap linkage. i would highly recomend you at least find a pr3 or pw0 ecu to activate vtec properly(well somewhat properly). then chip the ecu to run your engine to its max potential. or you can convert to obd1 and run a gsr ecu.

Kappa22 01-13-2006 01:21 PM

If you're going to run it to its "max potential," I would highly suggest a bottom end rebuild and balancing, aftermarket if you can afford it. You don't need rods in the radiator.

wicked90civichatch 03-21-2006 08:15 AM

No doubt in can be done. I have already swapped one into my 1990 hatch with no problems to date. I run the GSR tranny but i have the linkage stiffened and it works great. If you want the motor to run at its max rebuild the bottomend[image

mike1987 03-31-2006 04:03 PM

i love this. sorry to get of topic but i didn't know so many ef owners were out there.

yes doi the swap it is petty easy.

mike1987 04-03-2006 09:49 PM

hey don't put the gsr head on a b18a. there is no point. when u turbo it. it will just cause more problems. it is better too lust build up the bottom end and throw a nast turbo on it, run in the 11 - 12 easy. the b18a love boost but hate boost and vtec. my buddy did it but then swaped the stock head back but then got the head ported and it ran much better. he now runs in the 11s.