HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   ED-EF Swaps (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/ed-ef-swaps-35/)
-   -   d16y8 swap (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/ed-ef-swaps-35/d16y8-swap-15090/)

speedstream 01-09-2006 05:35 PM

d16y8 swap

im in high school and im gonna get my dads 89 civic dx hatch and i wanted to kno if a d16y8 is a good cheap(under $1000) swap for the car....i mean like the car is pretty light and doing that swap will make the car vtec and i can always boost that engine w/ forged internals in the future if i dont think its powerful enough....i just dont wanna built on the car to a point where its my pride and joy...(im waiting to save for a 350z...then ill have my pride and joy)

finalimpact 01-09-2006 05:55 PM

RE: d16y8 swap

the y8 is a nice swap IMO. where im from we find y8/z6's for under 300 in running condition. i would highly recomend at the very least, converting to mpfi. you will notice more with the mpfi than just the engine swap alone. for less than 1g you can drop a y8 and an si tranny in along with the mpfi conversion. id say less than 500 total but it depends who you know and what you can find out there.

speedstream 01-09-2006 08:45 PM

i sorta understood u but i really dont understand "IMO" and "mpfi"<----i kno im acting like a noob...lol...

i kno of some junk yards and shops in town that i can proly get a good deal on the engine....the tranny on the other hand might be a lil harder to find....i'll look into it though....this swap i plan on doing this summer since i dont have the money for it or a job....im just looking into my options so if someone asks what are my plans i can tell them

finalimpact 01-09-2006 09:19 PM

IMO=in my opinion
MPFI=multi port fuel injection ie: 4 injector set up instead of 2 like your dpfi set up
DPFI= dual point fuel injection

the tranny is not an absolute must but a very nice and noticable upgrade. also if you convert to mpfi you can either convert to obd1 and run a p28 vtec ecu of chip a chipable mpfi obd0 ecu for 1 wire vtec operation.

speedstream 01-10-2006 09:04 PM

do u kno of a website w/ d-series engines

Kappa22 01-10-2006 09:35 PM

I would actually recommend a DOHC ZC swap over a Y8 since it's cheaper, doesn't involve any VTEC wiring, puts out similar numbers, and drops right in. Also, swap parts such as the ECU will be cheaper.

www.sunrisejdmmotors.com or eBay

finalimpact 01-11-2006 12:14 AM

dohc zc would be a nice choice also like stated...... also the ability to tune 2 cams instead of one will net yoiu higher gains in the long run. its also easier to multi port as the zc dizzy plug is square and all you have to add in is the crank angle sensor wiring. plus you can say i got 2 cams y0!

mike1987 04-10-2006 08:46 AM

man i wouldn't swap with the d16. i was all about the d motor when i had my 99 ex. but if u want the power do a b swap. sorry to say it but the power is just not there. i was going to turbo my d. and yes i know u can make a d fast. but think of it this way. u put in a b18a-b-c or a b16a- u will be faster then ur d with all bolt-ons. i have a 1990 hatch si. with a b18a swap. trust me u want this done. u can find a ls swap on the forums for 1000. i just got a motor put in 99 ex. yes i got rapped on it , it cost me a tolal of 2500 to put in a stock motor. the motor was 850. plus they did my coil overs and out a couple of parts on. and it was in the 16s. after almost all bolt ons.
buddy of mine has a turbo d16y8 in his 98 civic. and i beat him, not by much but i beat him.
i have a b18a swap, 450cc injectors, coil overs, hks exhust. that is it. just trying to help. just get a job and save a little more. then boom get the swap and ur in the low 15s to high 14s