HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   ED-EF Swaps (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/ed-ef-swaps-35/)
-   -   Rear wheel ef (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/ed-ef-swaps-35/rear-wheel-ef-89828/)

Southernboy 07-20-2011 04:49 PM

Rear wheel ef

New guy here, to the site and to hondas. I just purchased a 1990 civic ef hatchback with the first gen. B16 and I love it, I gotta get more horses and torque but I love it!!! My question is this, I want to make it a rear wheel or even all wheel drive and dont know where to begin, any suggestions on what parts I would need and maybe some how tos would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

WellFedHobo 07-20-2011 05:28 PM

That's an extremely involved conversion. It's possible, but there's a TON of fabrication required. You'd have to make the subframe from scratch.

One route is to go D series, because the only AWD Civic was the Wagovan. You would have to get the gas tank, rear differential, driveshaft, etc. Basically the complete drivetrain. Probably the rear trailing arms too. The driveshaft would have to be shortened to fit. To make it worth the swap, you would have to do some serious building on that D series. Fully built internals, turbo. Tons of work.

Alternately, you could source the drivetrain from an S2000. But the differential doesn't take a lot of abuse, apparently.

I read somewhere that you can also use CRV parts, but that's pretty crazy too.

Southernboy 07-20-2011 08:26 PM

Yeah thats what I was thinking that it would be alot of custom fabrication and I dont have that kind of cash but it would be cool cause I havent even heard of one yet!

zerojett 07-20-2011 08:36 PM

There's an AWD hatch running a D16z6 turbo. 400whp or so.

It's not worth it though... People have theorized the usage of CRV powertrain, but I don't know for certain if it's been done. Tons of custom fabrication, custom length driveshaft, custom rear subframe...

someone did a rwd V8 CRX using a supra rear subframe.

For that cash, you're better off getting a RWD Nissan. More fun too, ha ha.

WellFedHobo 07-21-2011 04:24 AM

I read on H-T that someone did the CRV stuff.

Bisimoto did an 800 WHP D series AWD Wagovan.

Southernboy 07-21-2011 05:48 AM

Thats crazy, I couldnt handle that much horsepower, I just want around 300 to 350 whp and close to 200 torque. You know I have an issue of ht that a guy used crv diff. And stuff on a civic coupe.

WellFedHobo 07-21-2011 06:59 AM

I'm all for the conversion, but it would take a lot of time and thought, plus research. Were you wanting to keep the engine in the front, or mount it up in the rear?

Southernboy 07-21-2011 12:39 PM

I was thinking of keeping it up front but putting it in the rear would be even more unique!!

MBrent 07-22-2011 06:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo (Post 761424)
That's an extremely involved conversion. It's possible, but there's a TON of fabrication required. You'd have to make the subframe from scratch.

One route is to go D series, because the only AWD Civic was the Wagovan. You would have to get the gas tank, rear differential, driveshaft, etc. Basically the complete drivetrain. Probably the rear trailing arms too. The driveshaft would have to be shortened to fit. To make it worth the swap, you would have to do some serious building on that D series. Fully built internals, turbo. Tons of work.

Alternately, you could source the drivetrain from an S2000. But the differential doesn't take a lot of abuse, apparently.

I read somewhere that you can also use CRV parts, but that's pretty crazy too.

Not to pick on you Brad, but there was indeed a 4wd civic sedan available across the pond. Google RT4WD Civic. Heres a link to a guy that owns one overseas. Crazy, but I had never heard such a thing until just this past week. I stumbled across them while lurking h-t.

linkz! - Spee's 4wd EF5 Sedan. Heaps'o pics.
Attachment 7017
Attachment 7018
dohc zc + awd sedan = ultimate tits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WellFedHobo 07-22-2011 07:10 AM

ORLY? Nice, didn't know.