EK Swaps 1996-2000 Civics

Building my engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:31 PM
Default Building my engine

Ok lets see. I just got my civic a month ago. With time I will change the engine. What I want to do right now is start building it. I have a 97 civic ex manual, right now i dont have the vtec engine, so Im assuming is the sohc ( i really have no idea) What should I start buying? the d16z6 block? or which one? What will be recommended to do? crap i really wish i could know more about cars

Old 09-01-2010, 05:45 AM
HCF Member

figure out your goals. boost? n/a? drag? dd? once you figure out where you want to go it is an easier question to answer, my suggestion is if you plan on doing this yourslef and you dont know alot take this time now to research,read and learn. read some of the project threads to see what other people have done and the problems they had, the motors they used etc... good luck with the swap/build

Old 09-01-2010, 06:35 AM
HCF Member

You car has Vtec Vazru. How many miles are on the car? Running perfect?

Be honest, for example my car idles a lil low, and seems to be burning a lil oil FMW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haaha

How old are you? What kind of income you have? Any car knowledge besides fast & furious?

Allow me to show you one of my very first threads haha, I lol at myself.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=67712

Haha I fail so hard, I should have gotten flamed off the site for how slow I was

Last edited by NIKE H34D; 09-01-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 AM

I just read your other post and Im all excited now, but do you think u can put a picture of that thing that shows that the car is vtec, because i think the link for the picture that the guy put broke :/

Ok here it goes, I bought the car from this guy from indonesia, he was going back, so he sold it to me for 2200. When I tested the car, I didnt know what to check except of the fact that the car runs, its acceleration, and that the AC works. Ive been reading more about cars in general and I feel like so stupid. The first 4 days the car didnt have any problems, but then one day I drove it to work and when I was breaking at a stop light, the car shook all over the place. Well guess what? The rotors needed to be changed. By luck the mechanic checked the whole car to see if it had any other problems. Guess what? The header broke, the valve seals need to be replaced, same as the cat, the starter needs to be changed, the oil pan gasket needs to be changed.

The car has 146k miles. Im hoping after i put the new parts, everything will work great. However, Im debating either I keep the car or sell it. I heard that civics are great and I dont really want to sell it. If i keep it, I want to make this girl into the beautiful car she is u know what i mean?

So should I keep it? Should I sell it and try to buy a new one?

Im 19 years old, working at a gas station. I earn about 600 every other week. School is about to start, so Ill be working less. Hope you guys can help me

Old 09-02-2010, 04:43 AM
HCF Member

get it running good and keep it, they are reliable cars when maintained. save money and dont start a project you know your not going to finish. with that budget and school coming up i would say that is the best thing to do. I had a civic through college and wanted to do so much to it but at the end of the day it was a reliable car that got me to class. like i said before take this time now to learn, then fix, then modify, for some of the parts that need to be replaced anyway look up what aftermarket parts are out there and best for your needs. (meaning whats best for daily driving/commuting) let us know what you decide