HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   05 Civic LX Coupe (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/05-civic-lx-coupe-30224/)

lyntscreen 10-04-2006 10:30 PM

05 Civic LX Coupe

I have Civic as described above and I am looking to add a little more power to it without breaking the bank or Compromising the Fuel Grade / Economy too drastically. My main question to those of you who read this is "What is the difference between the LX model (115 hp) and the EX model (127 hp)?"

To gain the extra 12 HP in my ride, is it a simple head swap or does this require a little more digging into the engine (making it hardly worth it)?

I noticed in the owners manual that it seems to be the compression ratio, but does that mean that I can simply have the stock head on my LX Milled down to Get the same compression Ratio?

I appreciate any help that can be provided by those of you with more knowledge on the subject than I have. Thanks in advance!

Lyntscreen

zerocool 10-05-2006 10:02 AM

RE: 05 Civic LX Coupe

Hey, I used to have an 01 LX Coupe. When I got my 02 EX Coupe the main difference I felt was the gearing was better and it felt great above 5k rpm.

These motors dont respond well to intake, headers and exhaust (maybe 5 hp or so). So if you really want to make power either get another engine or have the engine opened up but in either case you're looking to spend lots of money.

Thats why I traded in the LX for the EX. And I like sunroofs...

Belmont 10-05-2006 11:56 AM

The difference between the Lx and Ex is V-tec. The Ex has it and Lx doesnt. The only way to make a big difference in power is forced induction or engine swap. Even with brand name i/h/e your still looking to spend $900+ and only gain a little over 10 HP. If you just want the extra 12 hp that the ex has than look into mini me swaps.

lyntscreen 10-05-2006 12:24 PM

Well, I'm not really looking to make any major HP, just a little more so I am less likely to get run over on the Highway. My goal is about 150 HP but no more than 175. I think it's possible with the right mods, but I'm really a novice at Engine work. So simply swapping heads will not do the trick or you are unsure? I got this idea because of the difference between a 305 Chevy and a 350 chevy is the heads. Maybe a few other minor changes, but it does a world of difference. Perhaps it will work, but I will see what some other people say. Thanks for the input thought. It is much appreciated!

lyntscreen 10-05-2006 12:26 PM

Yeah, I'm only looking for that 12 HP gain as this is my daily driver, I'm don't want to void the warranty with mismatch serial numbers, and I still want fuel economy. So do you think that the swap would work and if so, what other parts might I need just to make it functional and gain the 12 HP?

Belmont 10-05-2006 12:41 PM

Im not sure what you want becuase you stated you want 150 hp but than you said you only want 12? If you want 12 hp I/H/E is all you need. If you want 150 hp n/a than your looking to spend A LOT of money. Simply swapping heads will not get you your desired 150 hp.

ORIGINAL: lyntscreen
I'm don't want to void the warranty
You will void your warranty with any internal work. To achieve 150 hp you will have to void the warranty.

It sounds to me like i/h/e is the best bet for you. It wont void your warranty, you will see a little gain, and your fuel economy will be just as good.

TheMoogly 10-05-2006 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: lyntscreen

I got this idea because of the difference between a 305 Chevy and a 350 chevy is the heads.
Look at the size of the engine those Chevys have... you swap the head on a 4 cyl non vtec and you'll maybe squeeze a horsey or two.

lyntscreen 10-05-2006 12:44 PM

Nah I meant 150 total...lol. The 12 HP will be fine for the engine work as far as I'm concerned and then I will do a Cold Air Intake with Ram air Hood and an exhaust system... that is my plan... total that would bring to right under 140 HP total. All I am really concerned about right now is the Heads and if the swap will add that 12 HP. Sorry for the confusion.

lyntscreen 10-05-2006 12:46 PM

Hardly seems worth it, huh? Aren't the blocks on the LX and the EX the same though?

lyntscreen 10-05-2006 12:47 PM

Coolness.. thanks man. I will look into that for sure.