HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   1995 Civic 1.6 Vtec engine performance upgrades (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/1995-civic-1-6-vtec-engine-performance-upgrades-77423/)

jsteele 08-03-2009 07:15 PM

1995 Civic 1.6 Vtec engine performance upgrades

I need some advice, I just bought a 95 civic, it's gutted, has a cage, and is a circle track car. I need to get some more power out of the engine to be a little more competitive. All I know is it's a 95 civic, and has a 1.6 vtec engine. I am used to working with v8's and less limitation's on what I can, and cant do. I need the car to look stock, so turbo's, supercharger's, air intake kit's, and header's are out. I was thinking along the line's of bigger valve's, spring's, bigger cams, ecu upgrade's, bigger injectors, and some porting of the stock head. I don't need a lot more power, but any advice would be appreciated.

94civichatchback 08-03-2009 07:23 PM

you have 2 options build that engine or swap it with a 1.8 DOHC motor
try to find like a b16 since you already have vtec it would be a easy swap and have way more power.

trustdestruction 08-03-2009 07:30 PM

B16's suck, totally not worth swapping if you're going to leave it stock. (since turbo and sc are out of the question)

You could build the D16 and make more power than the stock B16. Or you could swap the B16 and build it... but that would cost a lot.

94civichatchback 08-03-2009 07:34 PM

how much money are you wanting to spend on this project?
what about a frankinstien....

jsteele 08-03-2009 08:07 PM

Alright guys look, here is my situation. I have a 1995 Civic coupe, I am racing it on a circle track, with other stock 4 cylinder cars. There are a few cars I cannot keep up with on the straight away, this is unacceptable. The car class I am racing in, requires the car be stock, with the original equipment engine, and transmission. So a swap is out of the question. Additionally, big turbo's, air intakes, header pipes, and anything obviously not stock is out. Money is not an issue, but I have to pass a tech inspection, which is why I am looking at internal engine modification's. They are a lot less obvious. I am not talking a ton of extra power, so I was thinking just head work. This car is not street legal, so I don't have to worry about emission's or ecm codes. I don't have a cat, and the exhaust has already been done. So anyone who knows how to get 40-50 hp out of this engine, the info would be greatly appreciated. I have no Idea what a frankinstien is. Additionally, the car has a header, and a complete K&N kit, so if anyone want's to trade for the stock, and is willing to come get them, I will trade you even for what I have. Keep in mind it has to look stock for the race.

trustdestruction 08-03-2009 08:14 PM

A frankenstein is a type of swap. Specifically a B20 block with a B-series VTEC head.

Build the engine... port & polish the intake manifold and head, valve job, bore out the stock throttle body as far as it can safely go, Crower stage 2 cam, crower springs & retainers, skunk2 (or other performance) valves, high compression pistons, forged rods, ARP rod bolts, hondata or cometic head gasket. You will need a dyno tune afterwards. I don't know if you can get 40-50 WHP on that engine from just head work.

What's your budget?

94civichatchback 08-03-2009 08:15 PM

put high compression pistons and get a good head job done maybe a cam also and get it tuned

jsteele 08-03-2009 08:23 PM

I don't really have a budget, money is not really an issue, but I don't want to waste money for little or no performance gain. Do I really need forged rods, and piston's? I thought you guy's were throwing down serious boost on stock bottom ends? This was my thought, port, polish, bigger valve's, stiffer spring's, bigger cam's, bigger injector's and no rev limiter. Look, this car is in the top 10 at the track, and I never get out of 2nd gear. I don't need this thing to go to the drag strip, just rev higher, and faster through 2nd. Additionally, who does good tune's for these cars, and what can you get out of the engine stock, just getting a better tune?

trustdestruction 08-03-2009 08:27 PM

Well then just build the head up pretty good. You'll need a dyno tune to maximize your gains, especially with a much bigger cam (this will also remove rev limiter when they program the chip, if you ask them, or you can have them raise it). I would also get a Hondata or Cometic head gasket, since you'll have the head off, and they're suppose to help with heat.

94civichatchback 08-03-2009 08:28 PM

a stock engine is stock tuned

if you are going to rev more ... then you need to upgrade the piston rods and bearings