Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1995 civic ex motor questions....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 03:46 AM
Default 1995 civic ex motor questions....

i have a d16z6 in my 95 civic ex with alot of miles on it. The motor is using alot of oil and blowing blue smoke out the back. Im getting ready to run a compression test on the cylinders this weekend. The motor was not taken care of by the previous owner. I need some help putting the cost of a rebuild for this motor vs putting a different engine in . I dont want anything crazy at all, but im not sure what would swap in easily. Im building it to be a clean looking daily driver. Im new to the honda scene and any help would be greatly appreciated. I can rebuild the engine myself, ive done several v8's in the past. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 1995 civic ex motor questions....

I don't have an answer to your rebuild versus swap question, but you may find this information useful:

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_587574/tm.htm

Old 05-30-2008, 07:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 1995 civic ex motor questions....

probably has busted piston rings. cheaper t o rebuild if thats its only problem....

i believe its just about the same process as a V8 almost.

ive heard of people just pulling the head off and droping the oil pan to remove the pistons and just replace the piston rings and hone the walls alittle if they arent to bad. and just put it all back together. of course new seals and such. but if you want it to be a daily driver id say go all out on the rebuild, yank the motor out take the head to get rebuilt valves and all, and block to the shop to get tested and everything, new crank bearings and all as typical, new oil pump just cause its easy to do now. new water pump, belt tensioner, timing belt. pretty esential parts to make the motor completly reliable....
all new seals and such if you took them out. it can be alittle costly BUT the fact that YOU KNOW the motor has been worked thru completly you know there is no problems... is worth it IMO..... finding a nonabused motor can be tuff! i lucked out when i bought a replacement z6 motor and it was a good motor but there isnt to many honest people selling good motors out here!
most people that remove there old motor and replaced it with a larger one..... well they have stomped the hell outta that motor.LOL not always but for the most part.