HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   2003 Civic EX engine blown. What next? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/2003-civic-ex-engine-blown-what-next-75306/)

Greko96 05-06-2009 02:59 PM

2003 Civic EX engine blown. What next?

The timing belt on my (stock) civic EX broke 2 days ago. Long story short, I had it towed to the auto shop (not a dealership) and they informed me that the engine is shot. Something in regards to interference between the pistons and the valves and the cam having seized. Looking at the car, you would think I just drove it off the lot, it's such a shame.

Anyway, I got word that they found a replacement engine with less than half the miles It my engine has on it and my entire cost for the engine including labor/parts is $1700. Comes with a year warranty. I am only assuming this is a good deal considering close family owns the shop, but this has never happened to me before so I don't know what to think really.

Does anyone have any feedback or recommendations as to how to approach this. Am I doing the right thing by replacing the engine considering that the vehicle is in near perfect condition? Should I try and sell it as is? :confused:

I love my civic. :(

trustdestruction 05-07-2009 05:27 AM

Yes, replacing the engine is worth it.

Let that be a lesson to you... the recommended service intervals are not lies.

CivicSi99 05-07-2009 08:47 AM

Yes. Cars are more than just cars to us car guys.
besides $1700 for a engine? Sounds like a good deal to me! but how many miles were on your civic when you took it in?

Greko96 05-08-2009 02:04 AM

It had almost 80,000 miles when this happened.

trustdestruction 05-08-2009 11:27 AM

That's it??
It's really hard to believe the timing belt snapped.

Did the mechanic show you it? Did you get a second opinion?

What kind of environment do you drive in?

Greko96 05-09-2009 02:10 PM

I live within the city of Chicago and I am also quite the impatient driver. So when a light turns green, the pedal is on the floor. At the time of this incident I was on the freeway and had just paid a toll at the toll booth. I had the gas pedal to the floor and as I sped off the engine just quit. I didn't here any popping or any other kind of noise that would indicate my engine or timing belt failed. The engine simply quit and I coasted to the side of the freeway. Oh, the engine light did come on after that though.

trustdestruction 05-09-2009 06:26 PM

oh okay.

but like i already asked... did the mechanic prove to you the timing belt snapped?

if it's not the timing belt it could be an ignition problem. I find it strange the timing belt would snap with that kind of mileage and actually I find it unbelievable.

RonJ 07-23-2009 07:25 PM

So the timing belt slipped or snapped? You'd typically need to remove the old timing belt, install a new one, and compression test the cylinders to demonstrate engine damage. Was all this done? Sometimes you get lucky when a timing belt fails and no damage is sustained.