HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   50 y/o Newbie. Car starts but dies immediately (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/50-y-o-newbie-car-starts-but-dies-immediately-4739/)

Z1 Streetfighter 04-17-2005 04:23 PM

50 y/o Newbie. Car starts but dies immediately

From reading others' posts, I'll bet I'm the oldest guy on this forum.:D
I'm attempting to fix my daughter's '94 1.6L VTEC 4-door sedan with automatic tranny. The car has 125k miles on her.
The car will start but die immediately. Her boyfriend and another friend of hers told her to replace the main relay switch. They said these model Civics' relays are notorious for going out. Relay was replaced but didn't fix the problem. Then someone else told her to replace the ignition switch. It was replaced witha used one (I was quoted $350 for a new one!!!!) but that didn't rectify the problem either.
Her boyfriend has told me that fuel is getting to and going through the injectors.
I bought a Haynes service manual, but MERCY!!! Engine codes, etc. are WAAAYY over my head. As you might be able to tell by my username, I'm into restoring old streetbikes. In other words no electronic ignition, no fuel injection, and definately no engine codes to deal with.[sm=bangbang.gif]
So I'm here asking you Civic gurus what I should do next. Any suggestions short of buying another car will be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks. Jim

sacicons 04-17-2005 07:52 PM

RE: 50 y/o Newbie. Car starts but dies immediately

is the check engine light coming on?

finalimpact 04-17-2005 08:59 PM

will the car attempt to stay running if the accelerator pedel is depressed?

Z1 Streetfighter 04-17-2005 09:19 PM

No to both questions.
When I say it dies immediately, I mean it dies as suddenly as you let go of the key.
I appreciate the both of you taking the time to post a reply to my questions.
Sincerely. Jim

finalimpact 04-18-2005 04:45 PM

so when you hold the key in the run position it will stay running, weird sounds just like a ign switch. hmmmmmmmmn got me stumped.

Z1 Streetfighter 04-18-2005 05:03 PM

Well I got it towed home today, so at least I can have it close to the garage and my tools.
If I continue to hold the key in the start position, the engine will rev up pretty good, but that also means the starter is revving up pretty good too.[sm=dontgetit.gif]
I'm going to search ebay tonight for a new switch............................There's GOT to be one for sale for less than $350!!!
For this project I was prompted to buy myself a few new tools today. What a great excuse to tell the wife!!:D
For now though, I think I'm going for a bit of therapy.
My therapy is a ride on my ZR-7S.
Thanks guys. I'll continue to post what I find out.
Jim

Z1 Streetfighter 04-20-2005 09:51 AM

Is there a way to bypass the ignition switch to confirm that the switch is at fault? No, I'm not asking how to hot-wire a car![sm=grinangel.gif] From what I've determined it just has to be the switch.
Even though we tried another switch (used), why would it be off a car if it wasn't defective?
Again, any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks. Jim

AOL.COM 04-20-2005 06:03 PM

whoooa hang on im not sure but i got a 97 & honda had a RECALL on ign .switches check into it ---if not covered replace ign . sw. ---if u can keep the car runnin holdin key in run position it the switch --buy a NEW SWITCH!

finalimpact 04-20-2005 10:31 PM

hit up the junkyard.....they fit nicley in your pocket;)

mack22 06-09-2005 01:10 AM

check the distributer. clean it or replace cap.rotor. also your fuel pressure regulator might be broken. too much fuel pressure will cut your car engine off.