Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

'94 Civic Sedan H22 Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Default '94 Civic Sedan H22 Swap Questions

I've started planning out a swap for my 1994 civic 4 door LX auto. I have done a little research and made my mind up to go with the H22a because I don't plan on boosting it and all I want is a fast daily driver right now, also I believe this is a straight forward swap and won't need any real modification done, please correct me if I am wrong.

I know that you need to get an engine mount kit to make this fit into the 92-95 civics; also I think I will need to get some new axles? I've heard that H22's are a pain to work with once they're in the car, so what should I upgrade before putting in? Alsowill I need an OBD swap? I really don't know anything about this. Also will I need to get anything else to make the swap from an auto to manual, or does this package come with everything I need? Thanks for any help and God bless.

This is the engine package:
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...amp;item=30017

Old 04-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: '94 Civic Sedan H22 Swap Questions

Welcome to the forums.

There's quite a few things that I'll need to cover here, so I'll try my best:

Since you have an auto, there won't be that much modification needed to fit an h22 in your car. With 5-speeds, you have to cut out part of the floor to fit the shifter/shifter cables, but since you have an auto, there's already a shift cable tunnel you can use. You might still have to do some trimming to get it to fit, but not much. You'll also need to "bend" part of the frame rail about a half inch or so with a hammer to get the engine to even fit in the bay (bend is in quotes because it's more or less beating the frame out of the way lol).

Now, to get the h22 to work, you'll need to do some additional things and buy some more parts:
-you already know you'll need a custom motor mount kit. It'll set you back $400-$500
-You'll also need custom axles, they're somewhere around $400-$500 I believe
-The fuel rail is going to face the wrong way. You'll either have to run a 4' fuel line across the engine bay or get a USDM Accord fuel rail.
-I believe you need some sort of combination of B-series radiator hoses to make things work
-If you have power steering, be prepared to give it up. Power steering and h22 eg's just don't work
-If you have air conditioning, also be prepared to give it up

For the manual conversion, you'll need a manual pedal set (technically you just need the clutch pedal, but it's best to use a full pedal set because the automatic brake pedal will be less than an inch away from the clutch pedal, which is unsafe). You'll also need the clutch hard lines, clutch fluid resevoir, and master cylinder.

Before swapping, you'll want to change all the high-wear things, like the ignition system (plugs, wires, distributor), water pump, timing belt, and timing belt tensioner. Also, you'll want to change the clutch since you already have the engine out of the car.

You're looking at $4k or so when it's all said and done.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:33 AM
HCF Member

The h is one of the harder more expensiveengine swaps. Its got great NA power but it is difficult and expensive you can get a bseries swap b16a or b18c that would be plenty fast and a bit less work most of the same things apply as reapper stated above except beating in the frame. Anyway good luck with the swap. And I suggest researching alot more before you do this swap.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Super Cereal Admin

actually, it's not that much harder than a b-series swap... from what I've seen, the hardest thing with the swap is getting the engine to fit in the bay (that's assuming you're proficient at wiring). Actually, I believe jdm**** has a ecu chipping thing where they can chip a p28 to work with an h22...so you wouldn't have to do as much wiring (the ecu wouldn't look for the knock sensor). And as far as the price goes, it's about the same price to fit a gsr motor in a civic. An h22 swap can be done in a weekend, the same as a b16 or a b18 swap.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the info guys. As for the fuel rail on the H22,in your opinion would it be ok tojust run a longfuel line or better to switch our the whole rail?Now if I went with the B16 or a B18 would I need to change the fuel rail around or is it facing the right way? Ha another question for you guys, if I wanted to keep A/C and power steering and wanted a fast carwhat engine would be do that for me?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Personally, I'd probably get an Accord fuel rail, but I like clean engine bays (just running a fuel line would be cheaper, but I think it would clutter up the bay a little more). I've never heard anything about having to change the fuel rail on a b-series, so I think it's facing the right way. I'm nt sure, but I think it's just that prelude fuel filters are on the other side of the bay.

Anyway, if you want to keep a/c and p/s, you'd probably want something like a gsr motor (b18c)... you'd need the p/s pump from a 99-00 civic si, and a b-series a/c mount. Another possiblitiy for a fast motor with a/c and p/s would be to swap to a b16 and turbocharge it, but it would be more expensive (but still a lot faster) than a b18 swap.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:13 PM

I would love to do thee H22 swap but the more I think about it I might need to go with the B18c due to my wife kicking my *** if I got rid of the A/C lol. Now with the B18c would you need custom axles or will the stock B18 axles work for the civic?

Old 04-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Super Cereal Admin

ORIGINAL: BuckHijo
my wife kicking my *** if I got rid of the A/C
lol

But the stock b18 axles will work fine with the civic. That's definitely a good thing, since with an h22, if you break an axle, you have to order a new one for a few hundred dollars and wait for it to ship and everything. With a b-series swap, you can go to autozone and get one for under $100, and if they didn't have it in stock, I'm sure they could have it by the next day (I know advance auto parts can get parts the next day)

Just remember that everything you need to replace for the h22 swap also goes for the b18 swap (clutch, ignition system, water pump, timing belt/belt tensioner). Like I said before, you're looking at about $4k by the time the engine's in your car and running.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:18 PM

Thanks again for all the info, it really helped. I had figured about 3,000 to 4,000 for the whole swap, I have a family member who owns an import auto shop so I can get alot of the parts at cost so that helps. Thanks again.