HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   94 cx help?! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/94-cx-help-22791/)

jrd_90 05-29-2006 04:18 PM

94 cx help?!

Alright i am new to honda engines. My problem is the motor in my 94 cx threw a rod a few weeks ago, so i figured i would put a new engine in it.. It had the d15b8 and a guy told me he had a used d15b8 out of a crx he would sell me said it ran really good and all so i bought the engine and put it in this weekend; and now i am having some problems.. I decided since i had the engine out i would go ahead and put a new timing belt on the engine.. So i installed the new engine, my intake, my exhaust, my distributor and wires and after i got it all hooked up it had some trouble starting. Well i finally got it to start but it idles bad like its missing almost and it is smoking out of the tailpipe, also when i step on the throttle it really bogs down and sputters like it is going to die, you have to baby the gas to keep it running. So i asked the guy if he had any idea, and he said it ran great when they pulled it. So i am wondering is there something i could have done wrong that would make some sense why its not running right.. I have no idea how to proplerly time a honda engine or if there is some secret to installing a timing belt correctly. I loosened the tensioner and lined the mark on the crankshaft to the arrow on the block. On the cam i lined up the bottome mark on the gear with the plastic marker on the back cam guard and installed the belt. Anyone have any ideas.. if i had to guess i would say its out of time or the guy is lieing to me and the engine is worn out and thats why it is smoking out of the tail pipe, also before i started the new engine i pulled the plugs and they looked really good so left them in after i have been messing around trying to get it started i pulled a couple plugs and now they are black.. if that helps any?!

mprivetts 05-29-2006 04:29 PM

RE: 94 cx help?!

check the firing order and the cam timing again

jrd_90 05-29-2006 05:39 PM

firing order is correct and all the plug wires are tight.. how do you set the cam at the correct timing?.. i put the marker on the crankshaft at the arrow. on the cam i set it so the bottom mark was lined up with the plastic pointer on the rear cam cover. the word top was on top and the two side marks were around even with the top of the head? is that correct?

mprivetts 05-29-2006 06:33 PM

yes so u are sure the firing order is correct and the cam timing is correct do a compresion test to see if u have and valve problems

mprivetts 05-29-2006 06:38 PM

u know after reading your story i hope u didnt bend any valves

riceburner700 05-29-2006 06:57 PM

not pulling any check engine lights?

jrd_90 05-29-2006 06:57 PM

how could it have bent valves?

jrd_90 05-29-2006 07:09 PM

no cel's are on.. wich is strange because i dont have a o2 sensor hooked up to it right now it is just unplugged

riceburner700 05-29-2006 09:30 PM

with the o2 sensor unplugged thats probably the reason why its running so rich because the ecu is getting less of a voltage which in turn thinks its running extremely lean so thats why its probably richening it up and making the plugs black... plug it in and see what the engine does after that.

Nail I3unny 05-29-2006 09:40 PM

last i heard the CRX only had a ZC, A1, A2, A6, or EW4...but i could be wrong.