Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

23 yr old female clueless about her 98 civic help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 02:35 AM
Cool 23 yr old female clueless about her 98 civic help!

hi ok so i was driving my manual 98 honda civic on the freeway and it just shut off. lights on the car were fine it was still running power all that was fine. when i finally pulled over to the side of the freeway i turned the key to off ans tried starting my car again.like i said all power was on but the car would just make a quick clicking sound. anyways got it towed to a near by parking lot my ex tried to pop start it but he says the clutch wouldnt go into gear therefor it wouldnt be able to be popstarted. he took it to his mechanic and he says i need a new motor. been doing research and it sounds like i could just need a new clutch. my ex and i are on bad terms so i think hes trying to rip me off. he had mentioned something about the clutch linkage being stuck?? but would that still call to replace the whole motor? HELP!!!

Old 04-01-2015, 09:24 PM

It could possibly be as simple as the battery. Just because the lights come on doesn't mean that the battery is good. It may hold enough of a charge to power the lights for a short time, but not enough to run the vehicle. Before you start shelling out tons of money on replacing clutches and engines, I would test the battery first. Also check the battery terminals for corrosion.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:05 PM

new motor NO!!!!! He's an ***. could is be possible? yes, however not without taking the engine apart or hearing it run would measure that!

Now, sounds to me either battery if its clicking strong indicator there. could be dizzy or timing belt but however it would turn over if its just clicking then that is a battery.

jeez what ah duck no matter how much i didn't like my ex i wouldn't rip her off

Old 04-29-2015, 06:25 PM
HCF Member

Your Civic has a hydraulic clutch, so the clutch linkage wouldn't be stuck like a mechanical clutch could bind up. So you can cross that off the list.

Last edited by TheJGB3; 04-29-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:51 PM
HCF Member

How about the voltage regulator? You should also have it checked or just bring it to a car shop just to be sure.