HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   97 Civic Ex won't start after sitting for 7-8 months maybe less (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/97-civic-ex-wont-start-after-sitting-7-8-months-maybe-less-92565/)

97Ej8 03-15-2012 05:29 AM

97 Civic Ex won't start after sitting for 7-8 months maybe less

I just got a 97 civic Ex from a family member. He had purchased another vehicle so it's been sitting for 7-8 months while in between my aunt would drive it when she came into town. I replaced fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, checked oil, radiator fluid, gas, everything is normal. Fuel pump DOES work I can hear it start. Bought a brand new battery for it. And it cranks.... It just won't start but it sounds like it wants too.

ChristianL 03-15-2012 10:27 AM

Did you check the airbox? I've come across a number of parked vehicles over the years that wouldn't start because the air intake had become a critter's new home. I once pulled the airbox off an old Honda CB750 that was packed to the brim with seeds. :D

Have you put in new gas? Did you drain out the old stuff? Today's fuel tends to break down to varnish after about 60 days (30 for the kind with high ethanol content), and will clog up a fuel system quickly.

I'd also start looking over wiring to make sure none has been nibbled away by mice (which I've also seen quite a bit).

97Ej8 03-15-2012 08:49 PM

What's the easiest way to clean out the tank and lines? When I changed the fuel filter the gas looked the way it was supposed too

ChristianL 03-16-2012 04:51 AM

Not sure where it is on a Civic, but there should be a drain plug somewhere on the fuel tank. Just drain whatever's in there, and refill it with fresh gas. I'd also go find some fuel treatment (StarTron in the blue bottle works awesomely well) and put that it to help counter-act any sediment that's now floating around in the new gas.

There's probably only a few ounces of bad gas in the lines, so you're probably fine to leave it in there.

97Ej8 03-16-2012 06:10 AM

Ok cool. Imma head back today to try doing that. I really need to get it running though because I miss driving and now I have VTEC it's a different experience from non V

97Ej8 03-16-2012 07:43 PM

Ok well did all that and got a new distributor cap and rotor and still nothing

axis11 03-17-2012 05:44 AM

Stop throwing in random parts and hope you get lucky and solve the issue.

Three basic things you need to have, FUEL, SPARK, AIR. Check that you are getting enough of the 3 basic elements.

97Ej8 03-17-2012 07:14 AM

The car did need the new parts. The fuel filter was nasty. The cap and rotor were both corroded beyond belief. Ok as far as fuel. I have that. Spark I'm questioning it and air..... How do I check for air. I mean obviously the intake. But elaborate alittle please. I'm fairly new to Civics as far as really working on them

axis11 03-17-2012 11:05 AM

For spark, remove one plug wire and insert an extra plug on it. Have it grounded on the engine block.Have somebody turn the key while you watch for the color of spark coming (bluish, yellowish). For air , remove filter box cover and filter to let more air in. Check if there is any air coming out of the exhaust .Does any smoke come or theres any smell of gasoline? Tailpipes sometimes becomes a home for other animals. Might as well check for fuel pressure.

97Ej8 03-22-2012 07:55 PM

ok well i tested out the spark.. and theres nothing coming from the distributor at all no spark that was with grounding it directly to the battery and using a spare spark plug