HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   AEM cold air intake system (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/aem-cold-air-intake-system-39758/)

mikelll 03-09-2007 02:26 PM

AEM cold air intake system

howdi guys, iv just got some queries about these different intake systems.

Iv been told that simply installing a pod filter isnt going to do much due to the fact that it will be sucking hot air, which i can understand.
Iv also been researching these short ram systems and cold air intake systems, both of which have me stumped. because i dont want to move the battery and im just not sure where abouts the piping for these is going to go! So i started looking into these cold air box ideas, and i was wondering if there is significant air running past the headlight/ battery for one to work in the place of the origional filter? I mean is there any point in removing my stock filter if a cold air box isnt going to do much better?? Let me know

Mikeeee

speedemon 03-10-2007 08:29 AM

RE: AEM cold air intake system

On my 94 AEM's kit works and sounds great. you dont need to move the batt or anything it even comes with hardware to utilize the stock mounting locations. There are plastic pipes that bring fresh air up to the air cleaner from underneath the car. I left those inwhen i removed the stock box. If they bring air up to the box, why take them out? The AEM filter sits in the stock filter location.

My04Civic 03-10-2007 08:45 AM

what kinda car you got??

FlipHKD720 03-10-2007 09:52 AM

yeah car model and trim would be helpful man. You usually dont have to remove your headlights/battery to install an intake system. A drop in filter (like a K&N) will give you a little power but mostly help your engine breath better. The only cold air box i can think of is the Comptech Ice Box, but i heard they went out of business.

blackmetal619 03-10-2007 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

yeah car model and trim would be helpful man. You usually dont have to remove your headlights/battery to install an intake system. A drop in filter (like a K&N) will give you a little power but mostly help your engine breath better. The only cold air box i can think of is the Comptech Ice Box, but i heard they went out of business.
:(

FlipHKD720 03-10-2007 01:33 PM

why hasnt this been moved to I/H/E?

SI2000 03-10-2007 02:41 PM

a short ram intake will give you better throttle response, while not giving you high overall hp because of breathing hot engine air. A cold air intake gives more power in the higher RPMs and more overall power gains. Any intake that you buy will fit your car as long as its for your year and model and all will perform the same comparitively since they are just a pipe and filter

mikelll 03-10-2007 03:38 PM

Haha your not going to want to know what i drive!!!!

Amongst other things its a 1998 toyota carib sprinter, but DONT WORRY, iv been looking into some type-R's for my next car although this may not happen till late this year.

I tried to upload a pic with this. Notice the air intake pipe faces sideways, anyone ever felt what its like to breath with a mean crosswind?

Please no comments on how i should just buy the honda now cuz i wanna get some experience on how to do a few things to this so when i do get it ill hav a bit behind me and wont stuff it up.

mikeeeee

[IMG]local://upfiles/19229/A713DAA9CA864027AF9D9DCC7658E113.jpg[/IMG]

JAY1994 03-29-2008 03:04 PM

For the cash it's looking like the AEM SRI is great for any model vesus the V2.

macbeth18288 03-29-2008 09:30 PM

That "sideways pipe" is common in alot of cars.