Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

AutoZone v OEM Honda parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 04:12 PM
HCF Member
Default AutoZone v OEM Honda parts

Hey guys, I am going to replace the distributor cap and rotor, plugs and wires in my 00 civic ex, and I was just wondering if anyone had a bad expierience with parts from AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts or anything because the dealer told me to only use Honda parts (which I expected them to) but there is a significant price difference between the Honda parts vs. the other ones. The Honda parts are like $150 where the AutoZone ones are less than $100. Is this because of a difference in quality or just because the Honda ones have the "Honda" name? Im a college student and the car only has 59k on it, so I want good parts so it lasts but at the same time I need to save money wherever possible haha. Thanks a lot!

- Craig

Old 04-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: AutoZone v OEM Honda parts

autozone will be just fine. im running a autzone rotor and some seals and sh*t.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:15 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: cmfmets

Hey guys, I am going to replace the distributor cap and rotor, plugs and wires in my 00 civic ex, and I was just wondering if anyone had a bad expierience with parts from AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts or anything because the dealer told me to only use Honda parts (which I expected them to) but there is a significant price difference between the Honda parts vs. the other ones. The Honda parts are like $150 where the AutoZone ones are less than $100. Is this because of a difference in quality or just because the Honda ones have the "Honda" name? Im a college student and the car only has 59k on it, so I want good parts so it lasts but at the same time I need to save money wherever possible haha. Thanks a lot!

- Craig
you just answered your own question, they just want you to buy the parts at their store, that's all, name brand parts at autozone and what not all meet or exceed oem products.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:27 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Here's a ranking a of quality going from highest to lowest. Price is not taken into account:
"Best"
Honda OEM
NAPA
Advanced Auto Parts
Autozone
"Worst"

Autozone is almosts always the cheapest, that's because they buy the cheapest product. Granted some of thier stuff works, it's still risky.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:38 PM
HCF Member

I've had very good experience with Autozone...and factory is always WAY more expensive then it's worth. I'm still getting over the 10$ a bolt for the rear suspension.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:17 AM

I've got an AAP distributor/rotor in my car, no problems whatsoever.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:29 PM
HCF Member

going to auto zone is like going to burger king for a steak dinner[:'(]

Old 04-23-2007, 07:42 PM

Why are you replacing them? Honda makes great ignition parts. They last a while.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Cat Fuсker

I get my stuff from AAP most of the times. Only went to the dealer for the $11 bolts [:'(]

Old 04-23-2007, 10:41 PM
HCF Member

Im replacing them because every once and a while when I start it, it barely catches, runs at about 200-300rpms for a second or two, and then catches itself like when you almost stall and then hit the clutch just in time and jumps to like 1500 for a second and then slowly comes back down to normal idle. I had noticed it a lot more when it was wet out so I thought that it could be arc-ing because of the wetness and the age, they are 7 years old now even tho there is only 59k on the car. I thought I would replace this stuff and see if it helped any and then ask a mechanic if it doesn't get better. I know the car was driven in short trips before I bought it, and its time to replace the plugs anyway so I figured I should just do it all now. I have been looking around and I see that AAP has some of the exact same parts Honda uses, just cheaper so I will prolly go there. Thanks guys for ur input, I appreciate it!

- Craig

Quick Reply: AutoZone v OEM Honda parts