HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   b18b1 (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/b18b1-74021/)

mallet1806 03-07-2009 04:26 PM

b18b1

hey guys i am planing on building a honda tuner and i have an opportunity to buy a b18b1 for real cheap (under 100). i plan on completly rebuilding any engine i get and eventually turbocharging it. i was wondering if this engine would be a good start and what could i do with it. also what cars it would fit in.

mallet1806 03-08-2009 03:23 PM

i intend to completly rebuild whatever engine i get, and i was thinking about doing the vtec mod to it. and i was wondering if it would be worth it or better to find a vtec engine. i look forward to hearing from you all.

plethoric33 03-08-2009 03:28 PM

B18b1 is a good motor for turbo. Its low compression makes it a good choice. You can go the LS/VTEC route and put a vtec head on it. Golden Eagle makes a kit for this. Or you could just look for a VTEC motor and save the hassle. But if your getting a B18b1 for dirt cheap id say take it. Its what I have in my 2000 Hatchback.

mallet1806 03-08-2009 09:04 PM

i havent set my specfic goals for my build yet. i am not even sure what car i should get, any ideas greatly appreciated. i figured i would start with the engine. i do know that i want to build the best car i can and that i want to turbo it. i am just curious what is the horsepower on a rebuilt ls/vtec,n/a. also would it be better to turbo a rebuilt ls or a ls/vtec. i no the ls/vtec is a bit more involved, and the hp on the boosted rebuilt ls an ls/vtec. i plan to rebuild the b18 with all high performance parts. i am just tryn to plan the best route. this hondanoob thanks yall for all the help and support.

plethoric33 03-11-2009 08:08 AM

You will get better numbers with turbo. If you want vtec and high compression, just get a b16.

scuba0100@gmail.com 03-11-2009 08:16 PM

i have a b18b1 in my 93 civic coupe. good motor, as previously stated it's good for boost. very compatable with most civics 92+. 140hp stock, can probably take up to 15-20 psi if it's built correctly. however your going to pay out the *&^ to bore/stroke, sleeve, port/polish, forged pistons, perf. rods and bearings.. ect, ect... to get to that 300-350hp civic/integra. with that kind of money you could get yourself a better platform to build a "performance" car than a civic. i don't think most people modify civic's because they think there going to be the fastest car on the street, they just love their cars and want to make them faster and handle better ect. consider your possibilities to their fullest extent before making your decision, always do your homework on something before you commit. good luck with your decision. Fellow Newb..

silver wrench 03-12-2009 08:53 PM

what are your power goals and what will this car be used for?