HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Bad New Bears. (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/bad-new-bears-60976/)

magic_mohawk 02-17-2008 06:22 PM

Bad New Bears.

So I was heading down the interstate last night to get to my house and my car quits.
Had enough time before my dad got there to tow me to find out that either the timing belt broke or some freak way the tensioner broke or something.
What's the chance that I didn't bend a valve? I know these engine aren't the ones that are protected, I'd just like to know.
Hopefully nothing happened and it'll be fine.

GReddy_Civic 02-17-2008 06:51 PM

RE: Bad New Bears.

Youd know if a timing belt broke

magic_mohawk 02-17-2008 07:42 PM

I do know it's a timing belt issue. I had the cover off and either the timing belt is stuck or something but it is WAY loose, like the tensioner puked. Has anyone ever heard of that happening?The belt lifts up and slides around on the cam gear, so it has to be that. I had a timing belt break on another car I had and it did the exact same thing. Anyway, I was just wondering what the chance was that it bent a valve.

RonJ 02-17-2008 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: magic_mohawk
...Anyway, I was just wondering what the chance was that it bent a valve.
You won't know the answer until you put on another timing belt and tensioner and then do both compression and leak down tests.

magic_mohawk 02-17-2008 08:25 PM

Alright, thanks a bunch.

plethoric33 02-17-2008 09:45 PM

Ive had 2 cars that had timing belt problems and neither bent a valve when it happened. Both times I was told I was very lucky though. I think its one of those 50/50 kinda things you hope for the best with.

jamned 02-18-2008 02:12 PM

I just wrote a long writeup of the additional steps you could take to remove the head. Then I realized you only need to install the timing belt (but not the other accessories) and crank the starter to do a compression test.

I've had a timing belt break on me once on a Geo Prism, which also has an interference engine. The valves didn't bend then.

magic_mohawk 02-18-2008 09:05 PM

Well, bad news. Some of the valves are bent, but luckly I have my old d15b2 engine from my hatch sitting in the shop so I'm going to take the head off of that and put it on my b7. Also, how do you get the crankshaft pully off? I accidently broke a peice off the one on my car and I'm going to pull that also off of my old engine. Is there an easy of of getting it off and does the bolt go in backward?

jamned 02-18-2008 11:23 PM

The crankshaft pulley bolt screws in like other bolts: clockwise.

I've removed a crankshaft pulley bolt about 5 or 6 times. The method I use would only work if the engine's in the engine bay and the driver side axle is still on the car. I put a couple of beefy bolts (about 3/4" thick) through holes on opposing sides of the crankshaft pulley. I run a breaker bar across those 2 bolts, 1 over and 1 under, with the end of the breaker bar resting above the driver's side half-axle. When set up right, the breaker bar would turn in the direction that the pulley's turning, if not for the halfaxle. The half axle keeps the breaker bar in place, which keeps the pulley in place. I'm not sure you could do this if your pulley's damaged, though.

After you get the bolt off, you have to pull the pulley off. The last 2 times I've done this, I've been able to pull it off by hand (applying equal force to 2 points on the pulley 180 degrees apart). The first time, I used a pulley extractor that I rented from Autozone.

magic_mohawk 02-19-2008 08:51 AM

The pulley is weighted right? I know I've seen people say don't put aftermarket ones on. I'd just like to make sure.

Anyway,You put the bolts through the holes of the pulley? There's only one of the holes damaged on it so I can probably do it the way you explained it. Thanks for the info.