HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Bad Performence with A/C on (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/bad-performence-c-41899/)

Nightflame 04-09-2007 12:24 PM

Bad Performence with A/C on

Hi everybody

I am new here. I don't really know if this problem is to be in this forum or not. If not, I apologize.

My problem is that when I turn my A/C on I can feel that the power of my engine decreases a lot.

I know that the engine doesn't perform the same with and without the A/C but I feel that the difference is too big (comparing it to other cars such as a 2000 Corolla). And I am not talking only about speed but more about power. For example, if I am climbing a small hill or something you can really feel the difference if you turn it off half-way up.

I am also getting very poor MPG's. I don't know if it could be related. (I am not posting about this problem because it doesn't belong here).

Does anybody have any idea of why this could be???

I am running a 2000 EX Coupe. 1.6 Vtec.

Thanks in advance

gin0o0o 04-09-2007 12:36 PM

RE: Bad Performence with A/C on

Well of course you'll lose power with the a/c on but can you provide more details as to the problem? Car mileage, oil changes, have you tried sea foaming the car, that always works wonders.

Forty04 04-09-2007 12:37 PM

well, being asour model (I have a 99ex) only puts down about 105hp to the wheels, we don't have a lot to spare, and with the a/c on, it's definitely sluggish..

Best bet would be to run a compression test and make sure thats all normal

Nightflame 04-09-2007 01:13 PM

Thanks for the fast response.

I will reply later with more details about the problem (plus milage, etc)

I am looking into that seafoam.

Forty04 04-09-2007 01:26 PM

There is a DIY posted here on HCF for the compression test if you are unclear on that

Nightflame 04-09-2007 02:00 PM

Yes, I am confused about that (sorry, don't know much yet :S)

I will look into it also... Thanks:)

Nightflame 04-09-2007 07:45 PM

My car has 58,117 miles on it

Oil changes? Last one was Dec. 15th. Planning on doing another as soon as I have an idea of what it has right now (In case I need to correct something)

I haven't tried the sea foaming, I am looking into that to see if I should.

Any more details? Hmmmm, I can't think of any other than the fact that sometimes I get a little rough idling and that my MPG's are very low in my opinion and vary from week to week sometimes even though my driving is the same (sometimes to ridiculous points as my 12.7 MPG two weeks ago! [:@]... Normally I get around 16.5 :S)

blackmetal619 04-10-2007 02:28 AM

ive heard most newer cars, not sure what years, have some thing, that when your flooring it WOT, with your AC on, it will temporarily cut off your AC until you let off. not sure though. i NEVER use my AC, it uses gas and power

Nightflame 04-10-2007 07:16 AM

Yes, that's true. Not my Civic though.

I live in a hot country, I HAVE to use my A/C :)