HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Beefing up the VTEC, please help. (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/beefing-up-vtec-please-help-1436/)

fast93civic 10-23-2004 10:16 PM

Beefing up the VTEC, please help.

Hey guys,

Im totaly new to this forum, this is my first post. I just bought a 93' Civic EX, with minor engine mods, cold air intake, header. The engine is obviously a 1.6l vtec. The car is fairly fast now, but not fast enough. Can any one give me some advice on what I should do to give the car more balls. Turbo for now is out of the question. I was thinking bigger fuel injectors, and maybe a 20hp ECU upgrade. Any help would be greatly apprecciated!

Thanks in advance!
Andrey

2000Si 10-24-2004 01:18 AM

RE: Beefing up the VTEC, please help.

bigger fuel injectors won't do anything without a turbo.

20 hp ecu upgrade? If you're talking about what I think you mean by that... don't bother.

If you want to give that 93 EX some balls, call up hmotorsonline and order up a 92-95 b16 motor. Sure it costs the same as a turbo kit, but you'll get to feel what real vtec feels like at 5500 rpm. (by real I mean, you can hear it. unlike in the sohc d series vtec motors)

NTX 10-24-2004 02:27 AM

and maybe a 20hp ECU upgrade.
dont spend money on it.

fast93civic 10-24-2004 08:00 PM

Thanks for some good ideas, but the only thing is, is that I don't have that much money or knowledge to do an engine swap just yet. Is there any thing I can do for around say $500-$650 to beef the engine up? Any ideas fellas?

Andrey

sacicons 10-24-2004 11:30 PM

damn. nice car. if youve got 5 or 600, then youre well on your way to a swap. just save it up. its worth the wait. any money you spend now will just be wasted. if you have to spend some, i didnt notice you say anything about a cat-back exhaust. get a quality system, that will work with a swap or a turbo. however, your header and intake(maybe) wont. if you want to do the swap or turbo anytime soon (a year or two) then dont bother spending the money now. if you might be content with your SOHC, then look into a head swap with a d16y8 head and intake manifold from a 96-00 ex, it will raise the compression of your motor and the intake manifold will make a big difference as well. you could see as much as 15-20 HP out of this, esp with an adjustable cam gear and getting the head milled first, to further raise compression. check ebay for parts. oh yeah, then get an integra throttle body and port match it to the y8 IM, that will improve throttle response as well as give up an HP or two.

Deleted User 10-25-2004 12:24 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

fast93civic 10-25-2004 08:30 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. sacicons-for exhaust im running a header, stock cat back, and straight pipe. I think some thing that would really be realistic for me is a head and a manifold swap from a 96 and up. It just bolts right in on my 93 block right? Or is there machine work to be done on any thing? I'll be honest, I just got in to this tunning stuff, don't know a whole lot about 4cyl honda engines. Where could I obtain these parts, junk yard maybe or? You say it will raise my compression ratio, how much, to the point where I would have to start using 91? Also how much is a head and an intake? Thanks again fellas!
Andrey

sacicons 10-25-2004 11:10 PM

it should be a straightforward swap. look on ebay for good prices. ideally, you should take it to a machine shop and get it milled about 20 thousands of an inch, and yes, you will need to use 91. but it will probably pay for itself. when i switched to 91 with my sohc, i advanced the ignition timing to 18* BTDC and i went from 21-22 mpg to about 29-33, all city driving, and it made it drive like a different car. if the motor needs it, it will usually help your mileage to use premium.

Deleted User 10-25-2004 11:14 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]