Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Best place to search for a new engine

Old 06-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Default Best place to search for a new engine

Okay yall, I'm sure you've gotten this post all the time. And yes I am a new user, but here's my question. My Piston seal just went on my 97' EX Coupe. And I was informed that I'm going to need a new engine. I'm not looking to completely "Beef" it up, but I am looking to add some extra HP under the hood. Any sug. anybody! I'm open to any new ideas! Also I just installed about 10K miles ago a Spec stage 3 clutch and flywheel Would those have to be replaced as well? [sm=dontgetit.gif] HELP! oh AND does anybody know other than a junkyard maybe, a good place to find a new Engine!

Old 06-30-2006, 05:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Best place to search for a new engine

What state do you live in? If you live in a bigger city you most likely can find something like that from craigslist.com. As for the clutch I am not sure. I wouldn't trust ebay for an engine, although god knows i have been tempted.

Old 06-30-2006, 05:27 PM

Scrapped the whole junkyard idea. Someplace wanted almost the same amount for a newly rebuilt engine! Plus I have no way of checking to see if there's any cracks or anything in the block. Live in Daytona Beach, Florida...and on a college budget. Thanks for the idea...if anybody else as an suggestions let me know! And does anybody know how much extra it would cost to Drop a B18C1 into a EX?

Old 06-30-2006, 05:44 PM

what do you mean piston seal? head gasket? rings? rear seal? i don't see the reason to have to change the whole engine unless you got some serious component damage. as far as a B18c swap about 2.5-4,000. you can get a B18B for about a grand less. either way figure on a few hundred more to replace seals, timing belt and water pump and clutch so once in you won't have to mess with it for a long time.

http://www.importautosalvage.com/index.asp

so far the highest praised supplier