Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

BLOCK GAURD AND THICKER HEAD GASKET

Old 11-13-2007, 06:20 AM
HCF Member
Default BLOCK GAURD AND THICKER HEAD GASKET

alrit guys,havent resolved wat is wrong with my engine yet, gonna wip the head off probably later this week with a mechanic friend, are block gaurds any good cause i have found this. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300169970366&f romMakeTrack=true

this is the minimum i am goin to need (tha is if it is only the head gasket). thinkin of gettin this and if i find the pistons and rings are damaged i will order some forged items from the us.
thanks.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Default RE: BLOCK GAURD AND THICKER HEAD GASKET

If you havent bought anything yet those Golden Eagle block guards are one of the best, I liked the ARP but they stopped selling them, and these golden eagle ones look the exact same. Some blockguards just have holes and dont allow enough coolent to flow and causes major hotspots which leads to pre-mature headgasket failure. Blockgaurds cheep thick sleeving expensive... That should explain it..

Old 11-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Default RE: BLOCK GAURD AND THICKER HEAD GASKET

how are hot spots going to cause pre-mature headgasket failure?

the hotspots your thinking of are in the cylinder sleeve and liner, which can crack, and either need to be re-sleeved or a new block sourced.

there is a recommended way to do it when you go about putting a block guard in. the recomended way is to put the block guard in before machine work that way the top of the cylinder bore isnt distored. sure you coud get away with doing it before machining, but i personally (if it was my engine) would put the block guard in before machinging then have it machined then the engine put together