Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Block Resurfacing

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:54 PM
HCF Member
Default Block Resurfacing

Well.....

I need to get my block resurfaced because it is all scratched up and not shiny and might be warped.

So i have to go down to a bare block, engine is pulled.

What should I do? If i pull out my pistons do i need to get new rings or what not? i dont know anything about pistons or cranks or anything. the guy said bare block does that include the oil pump and all that stuff?

Riceburner! fill me in!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:27 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Block Resurfacing

It might be better to ask the guy who's going to mill your block about how he expects it

If you were going to pull pistons out and replace the rings, I believe you're supposed to rehone the cylinders. You may choose to bore it first (requiring oversize pistons). The piston rings aren't easy to get to and if I have enough miles on the engine (I guess I'd say...150k+ miles), I would do it. What I know about installing them is that (after honing), you have to set the 3 piston rings in so that the gap in each one is offset by a 120 degree rotation (1/3 of a circle over each time), then use a piston ring compressor to squeeze them while you put the piston back in the cylinder.

I don't know if there's more to it than that. Feel free to rip me a new one, riceburner

Old 04-28-2008, 10:29 PM
HCF Member

thanks for the info

i would also like to add that the rings were replaced before i bought the engine and the engine only has about 40-50 K miles on it.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:49 PM
HCF Member

I'd leave them in if your machinist is okay with that. If you do have to take them out, I think Chilton's recommends re-honing the cylinders.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:13 AM
Recognized HCF Member

if the cylinder walls are fine and the engine didnt burn any oil just pull out the pistons and rods and remember which cylinder hole they went into. yes the block needs to be stripped as far down as it can go, dont want metal shavings in your oil pan floating around. Just tell them to take off the bare bones minimum. Dont forget a new head gasket and head studs unless you got some ARP's in that baby

Old 04-29-2008, 06:21 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: riceburner700

if the cylinder walls are fine and the engine didnt burn any oil just pull out the pistons and rods and remember which cylinder hole they went into. yes the block needs to be stripped as far down as it can go, dont want metal shavings in your oil pan floating around. Just tell them to take off the bare bones minimum. Dont forget a new head gasket and head studs unless you got some ARP's in that baby
Thanks thats what i was looking for...

And i do have arps in that baby

Old 04-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Recognized HCF Member

then you should be good to go after the block is decked

Old 04-29-2008, 04:54 PM
HCF Member

What made you decide you needed to get the block decked? I'm curious if a scratched-looking block surface calls for a redeck.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:04 PM
HCF Member

Well...

number 1 my dad went to the block with a file in his attempt to straitin it out. has some pretty deep gouges in it.

number 2. we checked it with a strait edge and its low in the middle

Number 3. The head has been resurfaced, and head gaskets are still failing. Points to the block

Old 04-29-2008, 08:45 PM
HCF Member

You had me at #1. Ouch.

Quick Reply: Block Resurfacing