Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Blown head gasket pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 01:16 PM
HCF Member
Default Blown head gasket pics

He is the pics of my block and head with bad gasket still on.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Default RE: Blown head gasket pics

Yea I have had that happen a few tmes in the past.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:26 PM

Reminds me I gotta get some ARP headstuds.....

Berz out.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:37 PM
HCF Member

^ Reminds me I gotta put mine in. Theyre def worth the 89$..........im goin to put mine in w/o taking the head off thou, gotta be careful, but its so much easier.

Old 04-03-2006, 05:17 PM
HCF Member

How do you get it over the dowel pins?

Old 04-04-2006, 11:54 AM

IS THERE ANY WAY TO CHECK FOR A BLOWN HEAD GASKET OTHER THAN TAKING IT APART???? IM NOT SURE IF I HAVE A RADIATOR LEAK, OR A BLOWN HEAD GASKET, BUT MY CAR OVER HEATS NOW WHEN I HIT BOOST. ALSO IT SEEMS TO BE FINE WHEN I ADD WATER TO THE CONTAINER AND ANTIFREEZE TO THE RADIATOR SO IM NOT TO SURE IF ITS A BLOWN HEAD GASKET, HELP!!!

Old 04-04-2006, 12:27 PM
HCF Member

Whats the oil look like?Is it boilin over the coolant reservor or bublin?I would do a coolant pressure test if you can get the pressure tester.Is thier coolant leakin out anywhere.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:28 PM
HCF Member

finally someone else, im still awaiting that guy for the "go" to fix mine. so in the mean time, ive been checking back here. Are you changing that yourself? or... yesterday at school i had a friend of mine just tell me to do it myself. Get a haynes manual. take off my head and its right there. he said its easier than everyone says.

Any tips? how your doing yours...what year is yours, like what did you have to take off to get to your stuff?

Old 04-04-2006, 12:45 PM
HCF Member

I have the 92 d15b7.Timing belt,valve cover,intake,exhaust mani,connectors,hoses,head bolts,that is just a quick run check with haneys for better detail.I am wanting to mini me with z6 head I might just stick the gasket back cause jason I guy I know is got a turbo that puts out 8 to 15 psi which I read it can take like 9 stock.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

Caps lock is really annoying TurboSI. To check if you have a blown head gasket, you can do a compression test. You need a compression guage which you can buy/rent from any autoparts store. Its pretty easy to do. You screw the compression tester into the spark plug hole. Take a fuse out that will allow the engine to crank but not start. Then have some1 crank the engine over while you look at the compression guage, note the highest number for each cylinder. All the cylinders should be around the same. If one or more of the cylinders is not good, you can run a wet compression test. Repeat the procedure for a compression test, adding some oil into the cylinders to coat the piston rings. If the wet compression is higher than the dry compression your piston rings are most likely worn. If not it is either a head gasket or valve seals causing the compression problem. IF your engine is overheating, it could be that your rad fan isn't turning on, you have a leak, or something else.

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket pics