HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   bogs down (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/bogs-down-23732/)

Raul98 06-15-2006 10:42 AM

bogs down

Any idea on why on my 98 ex off of 1st all goes good when I shift to 2nd and try to get the speed up for the 1st like 3 seconds or so I feel as if the car bogs down before it actually gets going. Someone told me that it could be that my injectors are dirty and need to be blown out? Others say air filter...Any idea/...?
My car curently has 52k miles on it very low miles...
I need a lil more power so not sure what may be the issue and what I should do to add a lil pep to it
Thanks

pWnEdU 06-15-2006 08:36 PM

RE: bogs down

What RPM's are you shifting at? These cars don't produce much torque, maybe you're shifting too early. If not, it could be a number of things, the first thing I would look at is air and fuel filters.

xramseyx 06-16-2006 04:05 AM

slow shift? :D

Chimera02EX 06-16-2006 07:37 AM

^ I would check out the air filter and piping first, try that see how it feels if still, then move on to fuel filter; and you can pick up some injector cleaner for like $3 at walmart.

Forty04 06-16-2006 08:57 AM

IF your not shifting fast at high rpm's, you're getting owned by a lack of torque.

xramseyx 06-17-2006 01:17 AM

^ if you know what your redline is, then just take it up to it... sometimes a little past. SHIFT..
Then take it to 5 or so... and then shift and i bet youll tell a difference. OR, if it is something dirty, get some cleaner like Chimera02EX said.

Nail I3unny 06-17-2006 12:05 PM

theres no point in going beyond redline. in fact theres no point in going to redline because peak power on these cars is at 6800 and redline is at 7200

pWnEdU 06-18-2006 11:41 AM

I disagree with that statement. RPM's are always a good thing when you're racing. It has to do with shift mapping and intertia.

Nail I3unny 06-18-2006 11:43 AM

so you're saying its good to destroy your engine knowing you arent making any more power by going that high? you probably make less power up there than at your peak.

pWnEdU 06-18-2006 11:52 AM

No, no... I didn't say "blow your engine up". Think about it, it's called "shift mapping".

Your power is produced in a curve, and where you shift has a lot to do with that curve, obviously. Now, if you were to shift at, say, 6500rpm where your peak power is at, then when you shift to the next gear and you're at 4k rpm, where your engine is producing a lot less power.... you have to work your way back up.

But if you CENTER your peak HP in that gear, then when you shift you aren't dropping way down... and you have a higher average hp for that set gear, average is the key word here because when you're talking about power, it comes down to average HP per give gear, not peak. The tighter the tranny ratio the less you have to worry about this.

Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I explained that well... if I had a pic to work with it'd be easier.

The engine also has more intertia at higher rpms so you don't loose RPM's as easily.